Earthquake In Osaka

This is an open MRC ONLY discussion area for the discussion or petition of Rules, Policies, or other MRC and MRC Alliance items. Please announce any absences (long term or short term) on this board. New campaign announcements will be posted on this board, as well.
Ji'Tuan

Earthquake In Osaka

Postby studiootaking » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:25 am

It sucks living close to the epicenter of an earthquake. Especially one that's 6.1 M! :(
All that stuff about it that you may be seeing on the news is just across the river. :cry:

Anyhow, here's a post I did on MW about the horror show in my man cave: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/3 ... nt=1405495

White Knight

Re: Earthquake In Osaka

Postby InfernosCaress » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:19 am

I have actually heard nothing about the earthquake.

I have been otherwise occupied. Work on my apartment about a month to a month and a half ago brought a bunch of bed bugs in to my place. I have been dealing with that.

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Some pictures: https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments/10 ... wsrc%5Etfw

We experienced Shindo lower-6 shaking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Met ... sity_scale

While our house was alright, some neighbouring houses (especially older ones, with heavy tile roofs) were damaged.
3rd day on, and schools still remain closed (partially collapsed ceiling in 1 classroom, threat of aftershocks [29 at Shindo 1 or higher, as of Jun. 19, 16:00 JST], and now monsoonal rains!).

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm

So what you are saying is: vacation time. Do you get paid for the time off?

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Sorry I am coming onto this so late. I have been away with some family stuff. I hope you and your family weathered this okay.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks guys.

Luckily, our house/family weathered it well. However, a few houses/apartments in the neighbourhood were damaged. Some of the older ones were condemned, and are in the process of being torn down.

Sadly, there was a massive rain fall over the weekend (the revenge of rainy season?) with some parts of Western Japan seeing 3 times the usual rainfall in July over a few days... tack onto that the subsequent heatwave.

Again, we're very lucky that we don't have holes in the roof or flood damage to clean up after in that heat - forecast to get up to 37℃ in Kyoto Prefecture tomorrow. Yikes!

@ Infernos: there's being a miscommunication somewhere along the way. I work in a private English school (it's not a [Japanese] cram school per se, but for ease of understanding, it's ok to consider it like that. It's also a couple of cities away. So, while my children's public school was closed for 3 days after the earthquake, my school wasn't.

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Well, that is no fun. You have lots of cleaning and no bonus free time in which to do it.

I can understand the annoyances that can come from natural disasters. I had a hurricane steal the back half of my house one time. For a year, my rear wall was a clear plastic tarp. That was actually a pretty good year, though.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 pm

I saw some of that flooding on the news earlier this week. Crazy stuff.

The thing that really stuck with me was that while 2 million people were evacuated, only approx. 128 died.

That's pretty amazing.

Japanese efficiency combined with good disaster preparedness I guess.

Return to Member Updates