New Campaign Idea

This is an open MRC ONLY discussion area for the discussion or petition of Rules, Policies, or other MRC and MRC Alliance items. Please announce any absences (long term or short term) on this board. New campaign announcements will be posted on this board, as well.
Game Master

New Campaign Idea

Postby Cobalt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Below is my write up of a new campaign setting that I am planning on running here. It is Macross, based off of my Wild Cards board but taking place approximately 50 years in the future.

2107 AD

During the social renaissance that occurred between 2067 and 2077, the Commonwealth government gradually became human-centric, celebrating the ideals and ingenuity of Homo Sapiens Sapiens and marginalizing the contributions of the other member species. In 2080, the Zentraedi and Meltraedi colonies of the Commonwealth declared their independence and, bolstered by the fleets they controlled, their move for independence was not contested.

In 2081, the Zolanites petitioned for entry into the Zentraedi and Meltraedi colonies and the three peoples formed the Traedi Collective. With the mass defection of their Meltraedi and Zentraedi fleets to the Traedi collective, the Cilededrai government fell into an economic collapse and were unable to secure their borders against territorial incursions from the Ra’Gaal. In 2084, the Cilededrai Star Empire collapsed and was absorbed into the Traedi Collective. In 2085, Warlord Shin Jehuty ascended to the coveted position of Supreme Commander of the Traedi Collective, forging an alliance through marriage to Warlord Nina Javano.

The Jurai and the Sunaj reconciled in 2072 and the influx of Sunaj genetics into the Jurai gene pool reversed the birth imbalance that plagued the Jurai. Over the next generation, a more balanced quota of boy children to girl children brought about social reconstruction and a move away form the practice of multiple wives. In 2085, the Jurai Empire closed their borders and returned to a policy of isolation, severing diplomatic ties with the Commonwealth but maintaining a single ambassador to the Traedi Collective.

Between 2069 and 2092, the Ra’Gaal experienced a shamanistic resurgence of the Old Ways, a return to the brutal lifestyle and clan warfare that had defined their civilization for millennia. Now prowling the galaxy under the directive of the Shamans, the Ra’Gaal have degenerated into a grouping of Clannish warrior-monks, expanding their territory through warfare. Their expansion was stymied by the Jurai Empire in 2094 and the two empires are now embroiled in a Cold War. The Traedi Collective and the Commonwealth have not involved themselves.

In 2107, the Commonwealth is a pale shadow of the government it once was and the civilian populace has grown more libertarian and anti-military. With declining enlistment numbers, the colonization fleets no longer seek to explore new systems and the Commonwealth’s borders have incrementally expanded through short range exploratory missions. The Commonwealth Space Navy has not fielded a flagship in 20 years.

The divide between military youths and civilian youths grew more profound. The discipline and precision of military youths stood in sharp contrast to the tattooed, pierced, and indiscriminately promiscuous civilian youths. The Commonwealth Youth Guard maintained its standards but recruitment drives drew in fewer volunteers with every successive year.

The Synthetic Intelligences, recognized as legal and lawful citizens of the Commonwealth, do, at times, volunteer for military service but the number of enlisted or commissioned SIs remains very low. This is attributed to the fear that the Commonwealth military may consider them expendable due to their synthetic origins. However, the few SIs in service have rapidly risen through the ranks.

On April 5th 2107, CSN Sojourner was destroyed while exploring a system. Only one survivor was recovered.

The survivor has no clear memory of the "Sojourner Incident," as it's come to be known in the press. Attempts to help him remember cause him to become irrational and violent. After a brief investigation, in which the survivor was removed from regenerative treatment four times for questioning, he was cleared of all culpability. After his release from medical care, the survivor promptly departed without filing a flight plan but was not declared AWOL due to the extenuating circumstances of the inquest.

On July 9th 2107, CSN Sojourner II was commissioned and became the first ship in a generation to undertake a mission that it was designed for: armed exploration and investigation. Military Intelligence located the survivor and brought him back to active service by fiat. Under the command of Captain James Christopher Williams, Sojourner II must locate and confront an enemy that threatens not only the Commonwealth but the whole galaxy.

Service Branches
  • Terrestrial
    • Commonwealth Mechanized Army - Primarily focused as a Colonial Defense Force, the Commonwealth Mechanized Army does not operate in space or on ships. Tasked with defending the planets upon which they are based, the Commonwealth Mechanized Army is seen as “soft service” by the space born branches, as they do not ever leave their birth worlds.
    • Commonwealth Mechanized Army Air Force - A sub-branch of the Mechanized Army, the air force operates exclusively in atmospheric conditions and does not venture beyond the gravity well. They are not trained in zero-gravity maneuvering or combat and, like the Mechanized Army, this branch is seen as “soft service”.
  • Space
    • Commonwealth Space Navy - The Space Navy is the backbone of the Commonwealth Military. The Space Navy patrols and enforces the borders of the Commonwealth and the interior space lanes. Their mission overview includes anti-pirate actions, border patrol, and armed exploration.
      • Sub-Divisions
        • Special Space Service - The SSS is the Space Navy’s special operations group, deployed separately from the Colonial Marines and utilized when the Navy wishes to keep a low profile. Candidates must complete a grueling course at the New Hades Training Center, the details of which are classified. After completion of the course, candidates must pass a psychiatric evaluation before being commissioned as an SSS operative. SSS candidates are gathered from both the Mechanized Army and the Colonial Mechanized Marine Corps.
        • Starfighter Command - The starfighter pilots of the Commonwealth Space Navy are an elite group, trained in atmospheric, zero-gravity, low-gravity, and high gravity flight. The pilots must also complete ground combat and power armor training, though their program is not as intensive as the Colonial Marine Corps program
    • Colonial Marine Corps - The Colonial Marine Corps is the fighting edge of the Commonwealth Military. Every man and woman that is given the honor of being a Colonial Marine is an armored trooper first.
      • Sub-Divisions
        • Orbital Drop Shock Trooper - The ODST is the elite operations force of the Commonwealth Colonial Marines. No trooper is tougher. The ODST operates in Pods, groups that have trained together since enlistment and those pods are commanded by ODST trained Psionic Operatives.
        • Mechanized Cavalry - The heavy armor drivers of the Colonial Marine Corps provide the heavy mobile artillery for ground operations.
  • Special Branches
    • Intelligence
    • Psi Corps
    • Diplomatic / Political Corps
    • Special Projects and Operations
Last edited by Cobalt on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Players
Bleu
Genjuro Vagetta
Kosh
Liltroll
MustangGT02
Last edited by Cobalt on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby MustangGT02 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:09 pm

You can count me in.
"Luke...I am your father..." ~ Empire Strikes Back

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:10 pm

You have been counted. :D
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Staff Trainee

Postby Genjuro Vagetta » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:43 pm

You know I'm down with it, Wayne! :P
Don't hunt for death, for it finds us all soon enough.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:54 pm

You're down, bud.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 pm

This game is going to be structured a little differently than my other campaigns. The players will make two characters, command level and then Marine. You will play the Command Level characters and your actions and interactions will determine the fate of the ship and the mission. When the game switches to combat, you will assume the roles of your secondary characters, who will either be ODST or Mechanized Cavalry (all the players have to agree).

Player Options - Command Level
Science Officer - Kosh
Medical Officer - MustangGT02
Security Chief - Open
Chief Engineer - Liltroll
Ground Force Commander - Genjuro Vagetta
Commander Space Group - Bleu

Player Options - Marines
Orbital Drop Shock Trooper - 5 Votes
Mechanized Cavalry - 0 Votes

The players who have signed up can put in their votes now, on this thread, by post, as to which Marine group they would like to make.
Last edited by Cobalt on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Assistant Game Master

Postby Bleu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Put me down for CSG and ODST, please.
"Hey, didn't dad say, 'no more DNA experiments on the neighborhood kids?" - Johnny Test

Game Master

Postby MustangGT02 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Put me in for the Medical Officer. ODST sounds good to me as well.

Postby Kosh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Sounds interesting Cobalt. Im up for it, my call would be ODST I think.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Okay, both are in and counted.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Pre-Game decisions I would like for you all to decide.

Character 1 Background - Command
Civilian High School / Youth Guard (Military School)

Character 2 Background - Marine
Civilian High School / Youth Guard (Military School)
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby MustangGT02 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:12 pm

For my characters in this one....i choose the following:

Character 1 - Command

Youth Guard (military)

Character 2 - Marine

Youth Guard (military)

Assistant Game Master

Postby Bleu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Command Character - Youth Guard
Marine Character - Civilian High School
"Hey, didn't dad say, 'no more DNA experiments on the neighborhood kids?" - Johnny Test

Postby Kosh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Bleu wrote:Command Character - Youth Guard
Marine Character - Civilian High School

Great minds think alike :P

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Player:

Name:
Homeworld:
Eye Color:
Height:
Weight:

Brief Physical Description:

Attitude:

Affiliation: Commonwealth
Branch of Service:
Position:
Rank TBD by GM

Personal Connections:
  • Best Friend:
  • Worst Enemy:
  • Family:
    • Father:
    • Mother:
    • Siblings:
Emotional Resonances:
  • Turn Ons:
  • Turn Offs:
  • Worst Secret:

Background:
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Group Leader

Postby Liltroll » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Could I trouble you for a spot too, oh mighty leader? :D

Hmm... Something like Chief Engineer?

Both being Civilian High School? >.>

Yes?

:P

Edit: Oh true... ODST too... xD
"The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read" ~ Terry Pratchett

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:40 pm

You are in. You choices have been registered.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Staff Trainee

Postby Genjuro Vagetta » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:49 pm

I'll fill in the Ground Force Commander slot.

Character 1 Background - Command
Youth Guard (Military School)

Character 2 Background - Marine
Civilian High School
Don't hunt for death, for it finds us all soon enough.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 am

Registered your choices. With five votes to zero, the Marine Option has been decided as ODST.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Wed May 04, 2011 4:31 pm

I have character names and avatars from Kosh, Mustang, and Liltroll. As soon as everyone is done with their character sheets, we can begin.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Wed May 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Update

Bleu
2 Characters 100%

Genjuro
1 Character 100%
1 Character 50%

Kosh
2 Characters 100%

Liltroll