Polling for Players

This is an open MRC ONLY discussion area for the discussion or petition of Rules, Policies, or other MRC and MRC Alliance items. Please announce any absences (long term or short term) on this board. New campaign announcements will be posted on this board, as well.
Game Master

Polling for Players

Postby araruin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:59 pm

I've been working on my own d20 rules for a sci-fi game. I'm looking to test play some of my character classes and am considering running two games to do so.

The first game will be a Halo game for Spartans and ODSTs to test play my military trooper class.

The second is a Zombiepocalypse campaign to play test my civilian class.

The combat is much deadlier than most are used to. In most cases, it is better to avoid a fight than to count on your combat skills to survive it. As in real life, getting shot can kill and getting shot multiple times almost guarantees death. Armor will help reduce damage and Spartan shield s will help somewhat. Civilians are basically screwed. There life is about avoiding combat and using their brains to see them through.

If you are interested in participating in one or both of these games, please post here.

Postby Kosh » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:51 am

Why not mix them together, Spartan killing zombies would be as close to orgasmic as our humble boards would allow :P

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:10 am

Count me in.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby araruin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Wow, not much interest. Looks like Cobolt may end up being the Last Man on Earth. :)

Postby Kosh » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm

:cry:

*waves*

Don't forget about me.

Postby Phantomj » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:09 pm

*poof! ninja appear!*:lol: Araruin there is something about the deadly paper cut that scares people, but then again there's Kosh, Cobalt etc. that says bring it on! :lol:

I personally like bringing in the spork of doom! :lol: *poof! ninja vanish!*
"We all wear masks, Spider-Man. But which one is real, the one that hides your face or the one that is your face?"

The Green Goblin from The Spectacular Spiderman Animated TV Series.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Sorry, Kosh. Thought you were just offering a suggestion. Glad to have you aboard.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Count me in when I return.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Be glad to have you when you make it back Nick. It'll be just like Left4Dead when they find you locked in a closet. :)

Power Member

Postby Nekopawed » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:24 pm

I love Left4Dead 1/2. And I love the idea of a Zombie shooting spree.

Wouldn't mind playing in a Zombie game if you'd let me. What is your system based off of? I'm currently playing a Modern d20 campaign and its a pretty decent system.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:20 pm

I've been working on a system with a real threat level, but that is still actually survivable for the players. I really hate games where a player stands out in the open taunting the enemy to fire rocket launchers at him, unless its a superhero game. Then its awesome.

I started with the base system for Starship Troopers. there is a lot of cool stuff in there that most other d20 systems don't have. Unfortunately, the problem with SST d20 is that you die after getting hit twice. My party lost a dozen characters in the first playtesting run, and it ended with a full party wipe. I've made a few tweaks to try to make the game more survivable. Armor will now offer some DR as well as AC. I'll be trying out something similar to second wind, as well. I also found that with the system the way it is, I needed to give the players a few more feats, so I've tweaked the classes a bit to pull that off. Instead of having lots of classes. I've pared it down to three classes and given them specializations, similar to Ranger combat style. For example, if you take the Engineer MOS, you would immediately gain tech skills as class skills and start gaining feats and class abilities related to engineering while you still advanced as a combat trooper. Civilian classes don't have too many class abilities, but they become super skill monkeys. They gain more flexibility from a less structured lifestyle.

Since it will be the easier campaign to start and there seems to be more interest, I am going to start with the Zombie game. Start thinking up your characters, their backgrounds, and their careers. These characters will be normal civilians, though you could also be a security guard or police officer. Please do not include anything with a military background.

The game will be starting in a large city. I am leaning toward using the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, as I am familiar with the area.

Power Member

Postby Nekopawed » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:50 pm

So can I play too? O,...,O Brainssss

Game Master

Postby araruin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Yes, everyone can play.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:29 am

Can I call dibs on the cop character?
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby araruin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:30 pm

Character proposals should now be submitted on the Rise of the Dead game forum. Start a new thread with your character's name as the title.

Power Member

Postby Nekopawed » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Okay shall begin working on mine :)

Return to Member Updates