Important Notice - Standing Down

This is an open MRC ONLY discussion area for the discussion or petition of Rules, Policies, or other MRC and MRC Alliance items. Please announce any absences (long term or short term) on this board. New campaign announcements will be posted on this board, as well.
Game Master (SM)

Important Notice - Standing Down

Postby Crimson Reaver » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:17 am

Hi everyone,

I’ve been trying to work out a way to say this, and this is probably draft 4 or 5 that I’ve managed to date, so I’ll keep this short and waffle-free as possible. Some of the other piece I wrote could have been covered in maple syrup and served for breakfast! :)

Simply put, as of now I’m withdrawing from pretty much everything on both the MRC and MRG, barring possibly playing in one game should the GM acquiesce. I’d just like to provide a quick explanation for my recent absence and the reasoning behind me officially continuing it.

I’ve landed a place on a Law Practising Course, starting in September. I’ve mentioned this in my status thread previously, but I’ve realised that I need to make some changes to my life to be able to give myself the best possible chance in doing well. I won’t have the free time to game online nor will I be able to sit up until 2-3am chatting/posting like I have been doing. It’s a tough course with a long commute, and this is my main reason for pulling out now. It took a long while to decide to pursue a career in the law, but now I’ve got the place I need to go for it.

Work-wise, I’m unable to really post anything or check the boards at work, I sit with my back to my boss and I’ve already been clocked several times for looking at the boards, and they took me to task when I was having a sandwich and checking the cricket score on the BBC site! I also get full net access monitoring from later on this year. I’m currently job-hunting, but this is also taking a lot of time and effort, and I’m struggling to find the time to game at a standard I’d find acceptable.

The main reason I’ve been away is that I literally succumbed to some sort of ghastly stomach virus the day after I posted on the 24th of July, and to say I was in a spot of bother was an understatement. I was in so much pain I didn’t get any sleep for 3 days and had an entire week off work. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks catching up on everything I couldn’t do whilst incapacitated, it knocked me totally for 6.

From a gaming point of view, I also think I need some time off to recover my enthusiasm for this form of gaming, and to go back to the drawing board to get some new ideas. The games I’ve run on the MRG and MRC recently have been complicated affairs which haven’t really worked to my satisfaction, and have proven hard to administer. I’ve bit off more than I could chew, lost the dynamism of my previous attempts at GMing and had everything fall flat. It’s totally my own fault and I’m just sorry that I have to end on such a downer. I’m not enjoying my writing as much as I used to and I think it’s no coincidence that neither are my players. I went on holiday and during the whole two weeks I penned about 500 words of RPG-related stuff, which quite frankly sucked, whereas 2-3 years ago I penned an entire RPG system!

(Yes, it still sucked, but I did write quite a lot of it :lol:)

I’m not going away forever, but right at the moment I have to attend to my mundane existence as a priority. My thanks go out to everyone I’ve gamed with in any capacity, and to those I’ve met during my time here, you’ve made it a truly worthwhile experience, one I hope to repeat when my time allows in future. I’ll hopefully still be around, maybe playing the odd game, but maybe just lurking in the background :P

Again, my thanks to you all.

James (CR)
Come see the Lions! Only in Kenya!
Free Snorkel with every visit!

Ji'Tuan

Postby Blue Phoenix » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:29 pm

Well, I for one will miss your funny sites, threads, and avatars. I hope all goes well with your life and that you enjoy your mundane existence.

I am sure that many shall miss you. Even those of us you did not know.

Good luck, and god speed.

-Phoenix.

Group Leader

Postby Mr.F » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:56 am

ooooh... a real life? :o

Good luck with that! :D

/Mr.F - This real life thing... perhaps I should test it?

Ji'Tuan

Postby Gideon Krieg » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:35 am

Best wishes and good luck to you CR. :D :D

You will be missed. :cry: :cry:

Assistant Game Master

Postby NightLance » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:54 pm

*tosses away Nashia's Edge notes*

o_o;;;

Well best of luck and have fun James I might attempt to bring forth Nashia's edge gotta drop a few lines here and there.

Gonna miss you for now James your creativity was definantly a spark of hilarity for me and making you laugh your ass off was a kicker. ^_^

Group Leader

Postby inix88 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:23 pm

Damn and Blast! Well, hopefully you'll be able to check once in a while, and we'll all do the best to keep it going in the meantime. But come back James, when you can, and when the time is right. Just come back when you can.

Oh, and kick ass in the Real World- with your brains, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Keep in touch- Tannar

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:50 am

I know this message is late, but it would be a far more worst crime not to write anything.

You better get back to us ASAP when things have sorted out, who the hell shall Kami tag aling with if you where gone eh? :D

Seriously, take care James. I wish you best of luck out there. :wink:

Return to Member Updates