Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Game Master

Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:46 pm

Amazon just delivered my video game. I bought Dragon Age Origins. This edition has all 7 downloadable contents packs - whatever that means.

Game Master

Re: Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition

Postby Cobalt » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:10 pm

The content packs are extras. A whole new adventure that takes place after the game.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:13 pm

Sweet. Sounds like fun. As it was an old game, I got it for $17 CAD.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:16 pm

Did you like the game Cobalt?

Anyone else have an opinion they would care to share?

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:24 pm

That is a great game.

The content packs are the DLC missions. About, mmm, an extra ten hours or so. One has an extra playable character, one bridges the gap between the ending and the second game, one is an Enemy Side that takes the final mission of the game and lets you play as the bad guys against your regular team. For spoiler reasons, don't play it until after the base game is complete (as I recall, you have to start that one from the main menu, so you can't accidentally spoil yourself by picking up the mission).

The Ultimate Edition also has Awakening, a full expansion of about twenty-five or so hours that takes place half a year after the base game, and a little bit before the Witch Hunt DLC.

It should be noted that Save Files carry over: Origins > Awakening > Witch Hunt > Dragon Age 2 > Dragon Age 3. This will effect events later in the series and you can only import one save per run. Witch Hunt has to come after Awakening for import purposes. The other DLCs can be played as soon as they are available in the storyline without repercussions.

If you have it on PC, I would suggest grabbing this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/686

(EDIT: It requires a sub-component from the old Bioware website that doesn't exist anymore. The component can now be found here:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/tmp7704/down ... ucked-hair )

It upgrades the textures and fixes some of the models. It makes the game look a lot better. It was made to run on PCs in 2011, so even potatoes by today's standards should have no problem with it.

Fair warning: DA:O was made for old computers. On newer systems, it can have crashing issues. This is caused by having more than 4 CPU Cores. You can easily fix it by setting the game to only run on 4 or less. Wait to see if you have the crashes first. Some systems auto-adjust and you may not have to mess with it at all. Just a head's up.
Last edited by InfernosCaress on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:00 pm

Thank you.

Wealth of information here. I appreciate it.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Inferno is 100% correct.

As for me, I did enjoy the game. I played it through at least four or five times, different races, genders, and class. There is a fair amount of differences in the ending depending on gender and race. The armor designs are excellent.

For me, the game is 10/10.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:28 pm

You're welcome.

There is another mod that I would recommend. It is this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/664

You get a Dog as one of the party member (no spoiler because it can be immediately at the start of the game, depending on your chosen Origin). He doesn't have a host of special abilities, or character classes because he is a dog. He is basically really weak, but he has a personality and interacts with the other party members if he is in your group during events. This mod puts him in to the Summon Slot instead of a Party Member Slot. It lets you get all of the scenes with him, but not have play the game way underpowered by giving up a normal character. That does mean that you lose the Summon Slot, which gimps the Ranger class. The developers approve of this method and made Summon Slot Dog the default in the sequel games.

Alternatively, this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/1361

He will have to use a Party Member Slot, but he gets a Skill Tree like the other characters. He normally gains the tree in Witch Hunt. This just lets him have it from the beginning. The power scales by his level, so it is not giving him endgame strength at the beginning; it just puts the Dog on par with other characters.

You can technically run both mods at the same time but the you get game balance issues. I would only pick one for your first run through of the game.

As for me, I did enjoy the game. I played it through at least four or five times, different races, genders, and class.

Aw, man, me, too. My carry over is the Female Human Noble if for no other reason than the funny scene it can add to DA2.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Thank you. I'll need to create an account for nexusmods to download the mod. I'll do that tomorrow, but I have installed the game. Have done much more than configure it today though.

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 pm

All of those mods can be activated at any point. They don't require a New Game. So there is no rush.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:49 pm

Human Noble Female was my carry over, too.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:43 pm

I checked and I have still have my back-up mod folder. I zipped it and uploaded it for you. As I recall, DO:A mods do not overwrite base game files. It only changes the index files. Just unzipping it in to the correct folder should work. You might have to fix your screen resolution, but I don't think so.

https://mega.nz/file/mo0XESwB#mBsp-bgbB ... -m__w80foM

Back up your folder and then Unzip it to:

C: (User Name) \Documents\BioWare

Overwrite what is there. That would be the aforementioned indexing.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:20 am

Done.

Thank you once again.

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:52 pm

*thumbs up*
Enjoy the game.

Return to General Discussion