Loading time and "unreachable server" Issue

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Flight Leader

Loading time and "unreachable server" Issue

Postby Buran » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:05 am

Greetings everyone,

I'd like to ask if I any of you like me do have quite massive page loading times (I'm talking minimum ~1 up to ~3 minutes) on every page of the forum.

To post an ansver it takes me usually 1,5 minutes to open the reply page, after i hit the send button 2 minutes and then 1,5 to 3 minutes depending on the page to get back to the thread, so at least 5 minutes in total.

On certain days then I have a afternoon, or evening, or even full day where I can't reach the board at all and receive a SQL-Database object unreachable error.

Is there something I / we can do to get a grip on these issues?

edit: some big spelling error, smal ones may still be present :)
Last edited by Buran on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

White Knight

Re: Loading time and "unreachable server" Issue

Postby InfernosCaress » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 am

Don't forget the Log-In > Taking You Back To The Page > Log-In loop. Earlier this week I got through an entire episode of 'Game Of Thrones' before the cycle broke. It is probably that the server is old and dying. Migrating the site to one of the host's newer boards would likely fix the issues.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 am

I am in contact with Lanji, our webmaster.. I will update everyone when I hear from him.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:48 am

That is all that we are asking for, my good man.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:52 am

Inferno, we’re all dealing with the same thing, so just have some patience.

As to the logged in/logged out issue you mentioned, I found that happens if I click on more than one link while the page is trying to load. If you let the browser either completely load the page, or time out, I find I don’t get logged out.

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:06 am

Why are you callin' me out, man? This isn't my thread. I am not even the one that brought it up today. Aaron was asking about it this morning. I suggested that if someone was having problems, then they should consider mentioning it up here where people will see it. Buran decided to do that. I am just a visitor to this topic like everyone else.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:37 am

Sorry but Buran’s question was valid, but then you came in complaining about the issue instead being constructive and relaying info that Lanji hosts our server for free and that he was aware of the issue (which you were told of in another thread).

Maybe you were just commiserating, but to me it sounded like you were upset, hence my comment.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:47 am

Everyone try to remain civil. This is a frustrating issue. We all need to step back. No more responses on this thread, or any other thread, about this issue and no fighting or flaming. It has been relayed to our webmaster and I will respond here when I hear from him.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:54 am

I was not upset. I mentioned how long the site had hosted on this server in the same thread that I suggested if the others were having problems to mention it here. That was why I did not say it here.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:00 pm

I thought I was pretty clear when I said:

Cobalt wrote:No more responses on this thread, or any other thread, about this issue and no fighting or flaming.

I hate having to repeat myself.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Webmaster (F)

Postby Lanji » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi everyone,

A few quick updates.

I've identified and discussed with the user that has been causing the majority of the Database downtime / disk drive full issues recently. I've worked with them to backup their data to another set of servers, and its going well so far, but we're still monitoring.

Second, this weekends issue are something new, and its basically the server load. We're still working on it, but the long load times / log in / log out loops are due to several processes running long. The 521 error some of you are getting is due to CloudFlare not getting a server response in the time expected.

At some point this quarter, I'm hoping to have the time to look at a few new options in regards to hosting several sites hosted on this server. In particular I've been testing out a potential move to VPS servers / Containers / Web services such as Amazon Web Services or Linode.

As the MRC is one of my pet projects, this will be one of the first sites moved from a test perspective to the new setup.

My hope is I can at least warn everyone a week ahead of time that its going to happen, then execute on the move. So keep looking on this board for the move announcement and other details once I have them worked out.

-Lanji

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Thank you, Lanji
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Return to General Discussion