Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - AKA, WTF are they thinking?

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Webmaster (F)

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - AKA, WTF are they thinking?

Postby Lanji » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:21 pm

A few of you may remember how much fun the entire Haruhi Suzumiya thing was a few years ago. What many of you may not know is that the Anime's first season became one of my favorite anime of all time, nearly kicking Macross off the list for a while (until Frontier came around that is).

With the announcement that this year they were going to "reshow" the series, and then booked 26 weeks vs. 14 weeks, it was obvious to just about everyone that the long awaited 2nd season was going to be shown.

So, I waited for weeks waiting for new episodes. And then the current Endless Summer sega started. And I kept watching. And I'm still watching...

But what the hell are they thinking? 8 episodes of CRAP repeating would be cool? Did the animators get lazy? Did someone in the production department jump off a bridge with the rest of the scripts and stories they had? Should the management who thought of this stupid idea to follow the book commit suicide to appease the worlds fan boy's?

**Uh, actually that last one is ok with me at this point.**

Their should be laws against taking great anime and screwing it up in the second season. Any thoughts on how to put this in place fellow MRC'ers?

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:04 am

As someone also following this garbage, I am similarly very disappointed. The whole scenario could have been summed up in one (MAYBE two) episodes, but they've gone on and on with the whole thing for (what is it) 7 weeks? We're no closer to figuring out the situation than the characters are...

This is just nonsense. I'm surprised the Japanese audience hasn't complained the series into coherence yet.

:cry:

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:01 am

While I haven't seen any episode of the Haruhi Suzumiya series, I don't see or understand what's the big thing about this series, from a critic point of view that is.

Yeah I know, I can't judge a anime series without seeing at least it's first season, right? Or at least a few episodes. But... I'm alittle interested how this series got the attention when it's about school boys and girls. Sure! The Azumanga Daioh series was a blast of comedy, especially at late nights, but what does Haruhi Suzumiya have that makes it better? Drama? Do they have mechs? Is there explosions? Intelligence? Coherencies? Zero's presence? Boobies? Sexual innuendo's? What?

Webmaster (F)

Postby Lanji » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Hmm, it actually only has Aliens, Time Travelers, Espers and a rather exceptional school girl.

Oh, and Kuon. But I think he's only comic relief. Or the only sane one.

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:29 pm

Time-travelers and aliens? ... Sounds perfectly fine to me to watch. Sign me up! :D

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:41 am

I can recommend the first season and maybe the first of the second. It's a pretty wild ride, and I liked it.... in fact, I still have it. ;)

Webmaster (F)

Postby Lanji » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:05 pm

Thank goodness, Sankaku Complex (don't visit this site at work if you're worried about boundary pushing websites) is reporting that Endless Eight is over as of this next episode of season 2.

That took WAY too long to happen.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:55 pm

I think it'd take an industrial strength word filter to clean up my exact feelings regarding the end of Endless Eight (that a paradox?). They could have done some creative fast-forwarding and done the whole thing in ONE episode, instead of eight.

There's "Jumping the Shark" and then.... I think we have a newer, even lamer comparison to make.

Return to General Discussion