Warning: Star Wars Geekgasm imminent.

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Warning: Star Wars Geekgasm imminent.

Postby Kosh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:47 am

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/49937

The term 'oh my god' just doesn't seem to cut it.

Game Master

Postby Strider » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:59 am

I just hope the actual game lives up to the trailer.
________
Buy Silver Surfer
Last edited by Strider on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Group Leader

Postby ColdFire » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:13 am

You know there is absolutely no way the game plays like that.

If this were a trailer for a movie, I'd be excited. As for a game, I'm tired of seeing trailers for stuff I can't do when I play.

I'm expecting KotOR online here.

Postby Kosh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:18 am

Easy guys, try and hold back that enthusiasm.

I was more meaning the trailer was awesome.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:49 am

yes, yes, trailer awesome. :D

The SW:TOR website has a few other videos which show developmental in-game footage. It's not too bad, but you're right, you won't be as bad-ass as the trailer above makes you want to look :(

I'm keeping a close eye on this game. Finally something to replace WoW ;)

Assistant Game Master (SM)

Postby Flare™ » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:16 pm

Xuric wrote:yes, yes, trailer awesome. :D

The SW:TOR website has a few other videos which show developmental in-game footage. It's not too bad, but you're right, you won't be as bad-ass as the trailer above makes you want to look :(

I'm keeping a close eye on this game. Finally something to replace WoW ;)

LOL Yes yes... my mouse pointer is now hovering over the cancel account button for WoW in anticipation for this!

Honestly if they ever make more star wars movies they need to explore this era!
Last edited by Flare™ on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Founding Member and President of the Klan Klein/Klan Klan Fan Club*

I take pics! See them on Instagram @JPhillipePhotos

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:24 pm

I have dreamed of this day. I must upgrade my computer.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Cobalt wrote:I have dreamed of this day. I must upgrade my computer.

Finally, an excuse that warrants spending money? :)

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:58 pm

I have no idea what the game will be like but the trailer is EXCELENT!!

Game Master

Postby BEAR » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:11 pm

WANT.

Postby Kosh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Xuric wrote:Finally, an excuse that warrants spending money? :)

Cobalts just finally getting tired of chucking coal in the back of his current one ;)

Yea the trailer looked pretty awesome, what the game is like we can wait and see but that is an amazing watch. It's like Ive always said, what's better than one Sith? One Sith with a shuttle full of ninjas with light sabres.
Last edited by Kosh on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Group Leader

Postby Liltroll » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 pm

Kosh wrote:It's like Ive always said, what's better than one Sith?

That one's easy. A Twi'lek dancer xD
"The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read" ~ Terry Pratchett

Game Master

Postby BEAR » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:55 pm

HAWT.

Game Master

Postby MustangGT02 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:59 pm

YUP!!
"Luke...I am your father..." ~ Empire Strikes Back

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:34 pm

I second that!

Flight Leader

Postby Ender » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:18 am

So does this mean that instead of KOTOR 3, I get an MMO. I am now very depressed. :cry:

WHY BIOWARE?!?!?!
WHY LUCASARTS?!?!?!?

Oh well, guess I can just play KOTOR on my 360 and imagine what might have been. *sigh*

Assistant Game Master

Postby Thorn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:23 am

Got my hopes up. Since it's an MMORPG, which has the disadvantages both of computer play (any ability can be used ONLY in ways the designers originally intended), and group play (other players, who can be counted on to, like, totally harsh my gaming mellow), I'll pass. Besides, didn't Lucas already TRY a SW MMORPG, which fizzled after a couple years? I really like Bioware's back catalog, and I'd hope they don't get sucked into becoming MMORPG-centric.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:33 am

Kosh wrote:Cobalts just finally getting tired of chucking coal in the back of his current one ;)

I'll have you know that my coal-powered computer is something of a design masterpiece. Very steampunk. In fact, I would have to say that it is 100% pure awesome in a can.

With Bioware behind it, I think it will be a more solid experience than Galaxies. They've been working on it for quite a few years now (and denying it the whole time). I'll be giving it a shot when it is released.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:43 am

I, too, will be giving it a shot.

From what the devs have said, you're not getting Kotor 3: online... you're getting KotOR: 3-9: online. And there won't be any saving-going-back-and-checking-the-other-results this time. I have no idea what sort of results decisions get ya, but I like the idea of "consequences." (you dark side gits)

Assistant Game Master

Postby Thorn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:55 am

Playing Devil's Advocate on myself, the Old Republic period is more malleable as a setting. It's possible to do more with it without waking the Lucas from his ten-thousand-year slumber ("And with strange aeons/Even George might make a good Star Wars sequel"). There are some aesthetic choices I don't like - the fact that in the promotional material, "troopers" are pretty much redone clone troopers/storm troopers, and "bounty hunters" look like Boba Fett. I understand continuity, but you mean to tell me that in 4000 years, there haven't been any significant design changes?

Mind, I was one of those weird people who liked the KJA "Tales of the Jedi" stories, up 'til the Great Sith War nonsense; hard to have a 25000-year interstellar republic when interstellar travel was apparently invented yesterday. The old-fashioned, rough-hewn aesthetic of it, though, appealed to me when compared to the technology-in-decay look of ANH+.

Still - if anyone could make a good, playable Star Wars RPG for an electronic platform, it's the Bioware people. For the reasons I've already stated (problems with MMORPGs), I'll be giving it a pass, but if they ever do a standalone version, kind of like Neverwinter Nights, I'll definitely be interested (and yes, I know NWN wasn't the best game ever - though it was better than Temple of Elemental Evil, which was allergic to any computer I ever used).

Flight Leader

Postby Ender » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:29 am

I still think I would've rather had a KOTOR 3. How on earth are they going to do consequences that effect everyone that plays?

I have a feeling it'll end up like all the other MMORPGs that have come. Rancour in a cave and it drops valuable items and is protecting a kickbut weapon. WOW!!! So you and your friends get together and kill the Rancour, divide the loot and move on. Just so the Rancour and everything else can respawn for the next group. (rinse & repeat)

Can amyone say delivery quests?

It certainly looks pretty snd might be fun, but I think I would've rather had a single player game as Revan.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:24 am

I'm still rather bitter over KotOR II (which Bioware had nothing to do with) to anticipte a KotOR III. As for playing as Revan again, I don't think that would happen, even if they had done KotOR III. Seeing how badly KotOR II jacked things up (and what was with the lack of an ending for the game?), I don't think there will ever be a KotOR III.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:58 am

I'm expecting a lot of phasing and instancing to handle the "consequences." which might put a real rift in the game, since those in a particular Phase or instance can only interact with those in the same place...

As for KoTOR II, I must say that I was disappointed with the ending as well. However, I'm still kinda psyched to see what they do to put the game into the multiplayer realm.

I mean.. it can't be as bad a Galaxies...

Group Leader

Postby ColdFire » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:26 pm

As I understand it, KotOR II's ending was cut short because the publisher rushed the game when the developers weren't done with it. Cut out a whole section on hunting the HK-50's too.

As for consequences? You get a couple of different quests and power choices. And for it to make any difference you have to be all the way one way or the other, they don't include a good option for being the grey jedi. All of the games where you get to be good or evil eventually boil down to being a saint or a mass murdering psychopath.

And on a note of the mmo, hope you like grouping with Jedi and sith, because they'll be everywhere. Maybe you'll run across Boba Fett too.

Flight Leader

Postby Ender » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:12 pm

I still see this game as a disaster in the making. Too many promises that I think they can't keep (whole consequences thing comes to mind). Too many Jedi and Sith too. Whose going to play as a trooper for crying out loud (other than possibly me)?

My main concern actually is if this game succeeds. Bioware will end up like Blizzard. How long now have we been waiting for Starcraft 2? Whatever happened to Starcraft Ghost? What about a Warcraft 4? :cry:

My favoirte RPG at the moment is Mass Effect and the thought that 3 (not so worried about it effecting 2) is delayed and delayed until forgotten or I'm too old to use the new fangled games, really upsets me. I just hope Bioware wont forget about the rest of us out there

Next

Return to General Discussion