Honouring the memory....

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Game Master

Honouring the memory....

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:33 am

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Flight Leader

Postby Jouby » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:10 pm

Distant relative of yours or is that some canadian culture that never reached my crazy part of the country?

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:53 pm

The Poem 'Flander's Field' was written in WWI by John McCrae (no relation) about the Poppy Fields. In Europe and Canada (I dunno about the US) but the poppy is the symbol of Remembrance Day and the poem Flander's field is read in those countries.

My family and I just got back from the ceremonies, we attend yearly and pay our respects to the fallen, to whom we owe so much and those who serve, placing themselves in harms way to preserve our nations and our freedoms.

Do you in the US use Poppies as the symbol?

Assistant Game Master

Postby Bleu » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:28 pm

Yes, we do. I found this on the internet about the significance of the Poppy, in relation to Veterans Day.

The Story of the Symbolic Poppy

The poppy seed can lie for years before it spouts nodding buds and then blooms four crumpled petals. It is a vivid mix between red and orange in color. These simple flowers grew en mass over the grave sites on the Western Front. They soon became a symbol associated with Veterans.

In the 1920’s people began selling paper poppies made to look like the wildflower. This provided assistance to ex-servicemen and their families. Today, the donations help build housing for seniors and support groups such as Meals-on-Wheels. People buy them to show their support for soldiers and their families. You will probably see someone selling them on Veterans Day, so help out if you can and wear your poppy proudly.

Source: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Library of Congress
"Hey, didn't dad say, 'no more DNA experiments on the neighborhood kids?" - Johnny Test

Return to General Discussion