New Clone Wars Series

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Game Master

New Clone Wars Series

Postby Halo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:11 am

Group Leader

Postby Nomad Soul » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:29 am

Yeah I can't wait but I'm more looking forward to the live action series.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:31 am

The animation looks pretty good and I like it more than the first Clone Wars animated series. The first one was a little too super-deformed and not enough anime for me. But this one looks pretty promising.

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:56 pm

Think I have to agree with Cobolt here. The earlier animation didn't impress me either, or at all to be frank... But this one really caught my attention. I will keep my eyes open for further news.

Group Leader

Postby Mr.F » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:55 am

I think the style of the first/earlier animations had their merits. The style is excellent for conveing superiority, self admiration etc. I think the style fits perfectly for protraying Anakin.

I also think the style works for portraying a more dignified hero (Windu comes to mind).

I was also kinda impressed by the sence of speed the style managed to convey. The fact that the backgrounds are detailed even during fast movement helps a bunch I say. "Anime" usually cut corners when it comes to backgrounds and environment (sometimes even resorting to the dreaded bluescreen with little flashy dots or lines).

Granted I think the style lacks in subtlety and its a bit like watching moving caricature, but I wouldn't say I'm unimpressed. Its very worthwile to watch even though it takes a short while to get used to it. I haven't yet watched the "new" stuff so I can't really compare, just comment on what I felt of the "early" animations.

[EDIT] Just saw that thing linked. I was less impressed by that then I was by the earlier animations I say. This new material was straight up CGI renders... not very interesting I think. More like something I would expect to see in a game then in a series. By taking the step into rendered 3d-graphics I can't help but compare them to things like the Final Fantasy animation, and I don't think this keep up with that. For me it became just one of many.

/Mr.F - Likes variation

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:06 am

I agree with Mr.F. The original, perhaps because of all it's warts and hairs, is charming in it's unique way. The story itself was at times new and interesting, and almost always Star Wars. I found the CG that they included in the original much easier on the eyes, and blended quite well with the hand-drawn animation.

What I find bemusing is that this new animated series looks like it is rehashing some of the story told in the first Clone Wars story (though that could just be me confusing Star Wars characters - there are soo many these days!)

Game Master

Postby Halo » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:45 am

The first Clone War series felt way too silly, especially when compared to the tone of the scripts they were portraying. Genndy Tartakovsky's style works great for Dexter's Lab and other light-hearted "toon" fare, but was distracting and a disappointment for a Star Wars series -- especially after suffering through two movies that didn't take the universe and story nearly as maturely as they should have.

Although the art style was a disappointment, my bigger problem was the format. Three minute episodes?? When I sit down for Star Wars, I don't want a bunch of trailers... I want to watch a proper episode. Yes, I've seen them run together on the DVDs, but it still doesn't work for me.

But I will say their General Grievous was faaaar cooler than the wuss in the movie.

Group Leader

Postby Mr.F » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:00 am

Its fun to see how differently something can be percieved. I can't see the sillyness at all ^_^;;

I do however agreee on the time (3 min) being a bit short if one is watching them one and one. I saw them all at once and quite frankly considered each "season" as a single episode (for a total of 2 episodes).
Seeing them in that way I thought they managed to get very much done (and quite a bit ellaborated on). I would like to give alot of credit to the aggressive storytelling that didn't waste much (any) time with anything but absolutley nessecary dialogue, but still managed to tell so much.

I think the first animation was intended more as a quick synopsis of the events they portray. A little something to embellish and bridge the gap between movie 2 and 3. They don't go into detail as a proper episode would, but I don't think that was ever the intention. Of course if one is craving something detailed I can see how one would be dissapointed at the first series. I never got that feeling of lacking something though as one can get with some films and series that are too short and get a hasty ending.

/Mr.F - Really likes the diverting oppinions . More anyone? ^_^

Return to General Discussion