Advent Children

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Game Master

Advent Children

Postby araruin » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:30 pm

I got Final Fantasy VII Advent Children today. It was pretty cool. I was disappointed that it didn't include The Last Order, which I was told was on the disk in Japan. It's a short that shows Zack and Cloud escaping from Shinra mansion. From what I could determine by watching previews on the disk, this movie will now be included in a game called Core Crisis. There's also supposed to be a game called Before the Crisis, which tells about the six years leading up to the events of Final Fantasy VII. It's funny to see a Final Fantasy game launch a series of games when it's part of a series of games.

Delta Member

Postby Ryudo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:41 pm

yeah i enjoyed the american release of Advent Children. I think they did a good job with the dubbing and choosing the voice actors. However like you said i had expected the extra footage in this release
The person who says it's imposible should stay out of the way of the person who is doing it.

Ji'Tuan

Postby Blue Phoenix » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:44 pm

Please tell me that they have original voice tracks and english subtitles for this?

I am an anime freak, and believe that anime is best served in Japanese.

I will even go as far as read french subtitles to listen to the Japanese voices.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:40 am

You can listen to it in the original Japanese, but the default language is English. However, the extras that I've watched so far are default Japanese.

Ace Pilot

Postby camk4evr » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:31 am

Mine defaulted to Japanese with English subtitles. Do the extras have another audio track (I leant mine to a friend and didn't check if they did or not)?

Group Leader

Postby Nomad Soul » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:51 pm

Any big leaps in the quality of the 3D models since "Final Flight of Osiris"?

I was never too interested in FF7. I stopped playing FF after 6, I just thought the fledgling 3D technology was ugly so I couldn't get into it.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:03 pm

Mine came as a 2 disk set. FF7 Remembrance is on the first disk with the movie. It reviews all of the major points of the original game. The rest of the extras are on the second disk.

The CGI was great. I think they're probably on the same level as Osirus, but I haven't seen it in awhile, so it could be slightly better. Some of the extras have computer animation superimposed over real landscape. It was pretty smooth.

Postby Phantomj » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:27 am

I just got it and I agree Araruin it was great cgi, need to check out the bonus disc.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:17 am

To be perfectly honest, I imported a legal and lisenced copy of Advent's Children last September, from Hong Kong.

Well, it amazed me then (and I speak enough Japanese to translate the parts that were grossly mistranslated). Back then, I thought it was awesome and groundbreaking. I personally think it has made incredible leaps in CGI since Final Flight of the Osiris. Osiris was good but this is better.

I did buy the 2 Disc special edition today, just because I want to support the movie and also to get the special features.

This copy (having gone through a superior transfer process) was much crisper and cleaner and the voice actors they hired were surprisingly close to the Japanese ones and managed to capture the essences of the characters they were portraying.

This is the movie that should have been released in the theatres, as opposed to the technically beautiful but otherwise dreadful (the story was horrendous) Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

I hope that this movie enjoys commercial success in the US, I really do. Which is why I bought it. And I encourage everyone who is a fan to get it, even if you already imported the Japanese version. Commercial success means they might consider making more of them.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

~Cobalt

Flight Leader

Postby Sparky » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:11 am

I loved the movie, i bought it the day it came out. But wat is best about it is that the people that directed the movie were not hired by squaresoft, they WERE squaresoft. The same person that directed the games was the same person that directed the movie.
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." - Optimus Prime

Staff Trainee

Postby CombatReady » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:29 am

preordered it at my local game store, but picked it up a few days late due to my work schedule. *shrug*

the movie was awesome. i don't know how, but they really managed to carry the story from the game on into a really nice and moving plot. the action was awesome, and *OMFG SPOILER ALERT! AVERT YOUR GAZE!* the bahamut fight was awesome* ALRIGHT THAT'S THE SPOILER! YOU CAN NOW RESUME THE POST!*

i definately recommend this to anyone who is a fan of anime, actually. if you didn't play the game, there's the featurette there that recounts the major plot points of the game, including spoilers. it's a beautiful piece of cinema, and if the rumors i've heard/read have any merit to them whatsoever, i'll be completely ecstatic when square releases the ffvii remake for the ps3. however, that's just a rumor that i've heard/read at this point, and i know that there have been 'official' announcements that both support and denounce this, but whatever. i can hope, dammit.

anyway. go buy it. it's good.

Group Leader

Postby ColdFire » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:57 am

I have seen a FFVII technical demo for the PS3, in which they redid the first cutscene of the game with new graphics. Maybe that is where the rumor for the remake came about. But I have not heard anything official about it a remake.

The CGI of the movie was simply stunning. I swear there were parts I could have forgotten I was watching CG.

Group Leader

Postby ColdFire » Tue May 02, 2006 11:46 pm

And speaking of the FFVII tech demo, here is a link.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfa ... media.html

It is pretty big, so I'll warn dial-up users now.

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Tue May 16, 2006 7:51 am

It was exactly that movie which made the fans of FFVII go berserk with questions when there should be an new and better grahical release of FFVII.
So far two years (if not longer) has passed since that commotion, and Square-Enix announcing the already released FFVII - Dirge Of Cerberus and the forthcoming PSP game: FFVII - Before Crisis
However, about the remake of FFVII for PS3 (Which I hope they will soon release whatever how much they brag and bullshit about it allready being finished) I will definitely buy it, but please... release it this century while I'm still alive FFS!

Power Member

What can you say.....

Postby Nefaris » Wed May 17, 2006 9:37 am

The CGI was great. I think they're probably on the same level as Osirus, but I haven't seen it in awhile, so it could be slightly better. Some of the extras have computer animation superimposed over real landscape. It was pretty smooth.

Araruin: I def agree

Advent children is absolutely awesome!!!! I had to watch it twice just to make sure I havent missed anything the first time round. The fight sequences and the CGI are beautiful. I heard about the P3, def going to buy it as I have been playing FF since the beginning, cant get enough of it.
:P 8) :D
"Out of the Darkness Light WILL SHINE!!"

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Game Master

Postby Halo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:06 am

For those of you wanting to see The Last Order: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6HUaHDl ... st%20Order

Game Master

What the Final Fantasy Motion Picture Should have been

Postby Cid Highwind CO VI » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:11 pm

My only complaint was that there could have been a bit more screen time for the the other characters that were intregal to cloud's original quest

However even with that minor complaint I think it is an outstanding movie and recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good story

Game Master

Postby Halo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:11 pm

My only complaint was that there could have been a bit more screen time for the the other characters that were intregal to cloud's original quest

Gee . . .whoever could you mean?? :lol:

Return to General Discussion