Japanese Soda Jetpack

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Staff Trainee

Japanese Soda Jetpack

Postby Legend » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:24 am

"You know what the chain of command is? Its the chain I go get and ruttin beat you with until you figure out I'm in command!"

Game Master

Postby MasumiX » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:08 am

the dialogue is even more hilarious!! The man calculated that he should fly about 10m, aaaand, the guy strapped to the sodbottles cant swim!

Game Master

Postby Halo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:47 am

LOL - I saw this on MythBusters before. Pretty funny video, but they had to slap the "Busted" label on it. Too bad, it looks like a lot of fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBuster ... _Blast-Off

Staff Trainee

Postby Legend » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:59 am

Ah, alas that they faked it. Still, it was amusing to watch.
"You know what the chain of command is? Its the chain I go get and ruttin beat you with until you figure out I'm in command!"

Game Master

Postby MasumiX » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:20 am

wow, mythbusters didn't put alot of effort into proving that it was fake... I think that I'll go on believing that the clip is real, for 4 reasons.

1/2. The Annoucer and Program are famous and any attempt at a fake would be used to further make the show interesting, and be way over the top.

3. Its live footages, you can clearly see that there are no cuts

4.I'm guessing that the Mythbusters are using north american bottles, not japanese bottles, soo, yeah whatever man :D

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:17 pm

In the video, in the first camera shot, the 'willing victim' does move in a way that I'd describe is strange. HOWEVER, who are we to comment as I doubt that the aerodynamics of human strapped to 16 PET bottles have been studied in detail.

The 'flight path' in the other paths does look a lot more realistic.

I can't comment on the show nor it's host. Nevertheless, the point of the segment was to get a laugh from the audience. It's succeeded in my book.

*I don't want to diss myth busters, as they have done some pretty funny 'stunts' in their own right and I do miss the show. I really loved their hip-breaking-sky-drobs of their crash test dummy into the San Francisco Bay and the exploding toilet segments.

Ji'Tuan

Postby Blue Phoenix » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:34 pm

It looked fake, even before they told me mythbusters said it was wrong.

However, I would love to believe it did work.

In technology class, we built minature mag lev train cars. And we can't get our real maglev working yet!

Meh, just can't wait until the maglev train from the U.S. to U.K. is finished....now that will fly ^_^ No soda bottles required.

~Maybe their soda bottles don't work, but that Maglev train...woo...

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:21 am

Wasn't Maglev developed by a German company? I believe that it's first commercial use is in a connection line between Shanghai and it's international airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation_train

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Maglev_Train

Apparently they got it up to 501 Kmph over the entire 30 Km track length (though regular speeds are half that.)

Return to General Discussion