Anyone play Guild Wars?

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Game Master

Anyone play Guild Wars?

Postby araruin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:59 pm

I've finished upgrading my computer, and I decided I needed some form of computer rpg. I've started playing Guild Wars and am enjoying it. Rannilas and a few other firends will be joining me for a full party in about two months. I was wondering if anyone else on the MRC played.

Delta Member

Postby Ryudo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:29 pm

yeah been playing for a while great game, should have been named diablo 3 though :lol:
The person who says it's imposible should stay out of the way of the person who is doing it.

Game Master (SM)

Postby Crimson Reaver » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:28 am

I've got a copy, haven't got a clue when I'll get time to play, I've dabbled a bit in RF Online, but it's hard to power level when I've got a few hours a week to do it :(
Come see the Lions! Only in Kenya!
Free Snorkel with every visit!

Game Master

Postby araruin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:29 am

I think what I like best about Guild Wars is that leveling up doesn't really mean alot. You gain a few extra hits and skill points, maybe a little energy, but your character is basically the same. Equipment doesn't seem to make an incredible difference either. Most weapons do around the same damage, and magic weapons don't really add damage, they usually just give an energy or health bonus.

You can also recustomize your skill picks whenever you are in a town, so you can't really screw up a character by spending points on something that ended up not being useful.

The primary defining aspect of a character is your skill set. Skill are easily acquired just by completing missions in the story.

As I mentioned with the levels before, they don't make you more powerful in the usual method. As a level 10 Warrior, I was wasted by a level 5 Elementalist in a few seconds. Earlier, as a Level 2 Warrior, I was killing level 5 creatures just by using a few tactics.

If you haven't played it, I'd say it's well worth checking out. There isn't any subscription fee, so you're only out the price of the game. If you do start playing, let me know what your character name is.

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:34 pm

Probably more worth to play then RF Online in my own opinion :-?

RF Online is more like a chatroom alá Ragnarök Online with better graphic. But that's all. And don't get me started when it comes to quests. Like there was any... :lol:

Game Master

Postby araruin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:21 pm

I pushed the death penalty to it's limit tonight. 60% death penalty is the cap. For those who don't know, if you die while on most quests, you are automatically raised at the nearest shrine. Alternatively, a fellow party member could raise you where you died. Each time you die, you suffer a death penalty that reduces your maximum hits and energy by 15%. You work it off by killing monsters. Unfortunately, the penalties stack and it gets pretty hard to stay alive with a 60% death penalty. :)

Game Master

Postby araruin » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:07 pm

I can't believe noone plays this game. It's pretty cool. I've made my way to Lion' Gate, which I think means I'm about halfway through the game. I've started my own Guild, The Sapphire Knights, and we have a cape. I'm looking at buying an island for a guild hall, but that gets a bit more complicated. I either need to come up with 19,000 gold pieces or fight my way through the underworld and win a battle in the Hall of Heroes. That should be easy enough, right. :)

Postby Phantomj » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:42 am

I've heared mixed reviews, but i just need to get the game and try it out.

Delta Member

Postby Ryudo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:18 am

some of us do play araruin, maybe we should all get together one of these days and just waste some time on it :)
The person who says it's imposible should stay out of the way of the person who is doing it.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:43 am

That sounds like a plan, Ryudo. I usually try to get a few hours in in the evenings on Saturday, and alternating Fridays and Sundays.

Game Master

Postby Rannilas » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:50 pm

I got a new XPS system just to play the game. I hope more people get interested. We need some more activities together as a community.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:20 pm

I got my headset working and I downloaded TeamSpeak. it seems pretty simple to set up the channel for group chat while we're playing.

Ji'Tuan

Postby Suzaku » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 am

I've been playing GW for a year now and definitely looking forward to Factions. Although I am taking a break from PvP at the moment, my Guild used to rank 49 last year.

I agree with Ryudo, it should have been named Diablo 3... but then again I was also a Diablo/Diablo LoD player :)

More skills, armor sets and missions are apparently coming up with the release of Factions (dont count on moving your existing characters to Cantha realm tho, that will not happen *pouts*)

Anyone who would like to see me in game can do so: Valerya Des Mort (Necromancer/warrior)

Sigils for the Guild Halls do not drop in UW as much nowadays but consider yourself lucky, back in the day they used to cost over 60k!!! :cry:

PS: I have tested both, TS and Ventrilo and I would always use Vent to PvP with my guild. Sound quality is far better.

Delta Member

Postby Ryudo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:06 am

well i play whenever, especially when there are people to play with so just message me guild wars name is Marco The Barbarian
its a Barb/Monk lv 12 so yeah ya know. and i'd definatly start a new character for fun to go with a party formation

Game Master

Postby araruin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:55 am

Awesome. Thanks for the information Suzaku. I'll definately check out Ventrilo.

I'm currently playing playing Araruin Ararlhach(W/Mo 17) and Winter Festivale(E/Ms 7). When we start the new group, I'll probably be playing a monk named Sister Rose Albrite.

I'll add you guys to my friends list and look you up next time I'm playing.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:33 pm

Not very heroic looking, but I usually function as a soldier of the line when operating with a group. I can also add in a little protection and healing, plus everyone loves that I always have Restore Life equipped.

Ji'Tuan

Postby Suzaku » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:51 pm

All players should carry at least Rebirth. If no monks skills, then Resurrection signet is a must. The extra slot is not worth the aggro one may get if the last standing and without the ability to res the monk.
As long as you have a solid build, you can always afford the rez.

BTW My characters are: Valerya Des Mort (N/W lvl20), Queen Sekhmet (W/R lvl20), Cybele the Huntress (R/Mo lvl20) and Natalya of Moonshae (Me/N lvl20). I play my Vampire Warrior the most (BM FTW!). I usually play 8-11pm GMT.

Squad Leader

Postby tralnon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

heh.. I've been playing it since it first came out, deleted all my chars but my main one (who was still at level 10 before I did this) because I want to remake one as an assassin when factions come out. My only char right now is the lvl 15 E/W Tralnon Kinslayer. ^^ he's so fun.. And I've got about 15 plats saved up.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:10 am

Yeah. We have a guild hall now. We own a nice little little island with a fortress, a small village and a ship.

I thought I'd post up some pictures of Sister Rose Albrite. She a Monk/Ranger.

Game Master

Postby Halo » Fri May 19, 2006 8:47 pm

Hi All -- I just got Guild Wars and am giving it a go. MUCH to my surprise, the name "Kambei Shimura" was already spoken for, so instead I made a Monk named "Kambei Kurosawa". I have no freaking clue what I'm doing, but feel free to look me up -- an MMO is no fun without a righteous, kick-ass party!!

Edit: My other characters are Alyndra Carpell (Mesmer) and Valen Devereaux (Warrior)

Ji'Tuan

Postby Blue Phoenix » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:40 pm

Sorry for digging up this thread, but if anyone has factions don't forget about the Dragon Festival ending the 5th.

I have enoug orbs to get 5 masks, and 51 left over. So if, you are interested in getting them just add me as a friend.

John The Kind Lvl 20 Mo/R
Black Lotus Shadow Lvl 20A/Mo
Modian Ikal Lvl 20 E/R
Enchantress Moon Lvl 15 Me/R
Ecnelis Agon Lvl 12 N/Mo
Sir Victoria Lvl 18 W/R

P.S. I am the owner of the guild Symbiotic Syndrome [SS].

We have a guild hall on the Isle of Meditation, 5 services (Priest, Storage, Merchant, Weaponsmith, Rune Trader)

25 Members

And a simple friendly alliance with a Knights of Dragons clan. If anyone is luxxon aligned, no alliance to them, tell me. I want to have more friends to my guild ^_^

John The Kind

Delta Member

Postby Ryudo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:34 am

i wish i had gotten factions before the festival ended cause i've got some orbs myself, but oh well now.

Power Member

Postby shiruikage » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:02 pm

wow, i din know there are so many mrc guys playing GW. are u guys playing in the prophecys or factions campaign? i myself is playing prophecy.

Ji'Tuan

Postby Blue Phoenix » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:28 am

Both. And on your idea of the masks.

You can obtain masks until the 11th of this month. Though the Emperor no longer comes, and presents no longer fall from the sky, you can still obtain a mask. Have fun.

I play both. I love both. Factions is faster level, but Ascalon is easier.

Ji'Tuan

Postby Suzaku » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:21 pm

For those who play Guild Wars (Factions and Prophecies) do not forget the PvP Preview Event of Nightfall (next GW chapter). It will start on 28th July and will finish 30th.

I look forward to seeing you all there :)

If you want to contact me in game, try the account above or my secondary account (hehehe a friend stopped playing and gave me his key code to have access to more characters!): Matahari Shan (my assassin/ranger as shown below).

Return to General Discussion