For interested US residents

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Ji'Tuan

For interested US residents

Postby Gideon Krieg » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:51 am

Fabrique Nationale of Herstal Belgium has announced that the PS2000 (which looks alot like the standard rifle from the first XBOX Halo game) will be available for civilian sales in the US.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/cb_fs2000.htm

A retail price has not been announced yet.

Currently the PS90, the military version of which often seen used by Major Kusenagi in "Ghost in the Shell", is available from FN. Cost is around $2000.00 US.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/cb_ps90.htm

I have fired the PS90(dealer demo), and its sweet.
"The Duke will die before these eyes...and he'll know...HE'LL KNOW!...that it was I Vladimir Harkonen who encompases his DOOM!!"

Delta Member

Postby Ryudo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:30 pm

not sure what to comment on this topic, but i do find it interesting from a Marine Corp point of view
The person who says it's imposible should stay out of the way of the person who is doing it.

Assistant Game Master

Re: For interested US residents

Postby Gerhard » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:03 am

Gideon Krieg wrote:Currently the PS90, the military version of which often seen used by Major Kusenagi in "Ghost in the Shell", is available from FN. Cost is around $2000.00 US.

Actually I'm pretty sure she doesn't use a P90 at all. Masamune Shirow weapon designs are original. Alot of his designs have compact bodies with rounded and integrated grips like the P90. Now I don't know who was influenced by who(I'd like to think that it was anime that influenced real-life in this situation) but I don't think Masamune would outright copy a weapon, especially for a series set in the future.

Ryudo, as a marine you might be interested in these.

-SCAR Rifle- Adopted by the http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm

-XM8 rifle- The possible successor to the M-16 family http://world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm</a>

Game Master

Postby MasumiX » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:43 am

wow

CQR= dont bother aiming

on a side note the XM8(and varients) looks like its more than a handful of useful bu akward additions... I wonder how it really performs in teh field.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:53 am

Well, the XM8 is based off the G36 family of weapons, and that weapon is proving quite successful. Also, IT IS from H&K. Almost anything they make is good. Hell some of the weapons that never made it(I don't want to say failed, because they didn't, just they weren't adopted widespread) where downright revolutionary. Just look at the G11.

The XM8 is supposedly very well balanced and can be changed around to any of it's different configurations without any special tools, making the system field configurable.

Group Leader

Postby Nomad Soul » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:57 am

"No I'm Canadian actually. It's like an American, but without the gun."

:(
Guns are bad.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:21 am

...says the man on the receiving end

:P

Just kidding, but its not guns that are bad, its the people who use them, and then only a portion of those. Guns are like anything, a tool, capable of good or evil.

Group Leader

Postby Nomad Soul » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:30 am

I realize it's the people. I just think it shouldn't be so easy to get guns in your country. If there was better gun control these people wouldn't be able to get weapons so easily.

Why the heck is it still in the constitution that every American has the right to own a gun? That was put into place so you could defend yourselves from the British right? I'm pretty sure they've given up on invading.

I was in the states last year and it was quite a shock when I was in a Wal-mart and I saw some big "tough guy" (who minutes earlier I overheard bragging about kicking the crap out of someone) went up to the hunting department and bought himself a gigantic knife. Scared the crap out of me.

But whatever, I don't want to get worked up so I'll stop myself here. :-?

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:06 pm

Its not easy to get guns in the states. There are background checks and such. Here in my own state of New Jersey, in order to even look at a rifle or pistol you need a firearms Purchaser ID card. That I had to apply for, giving references and other info, then get fingerprinted as well.

AND that doesn't even allow me to buy pistols. I need a Handgun permit for that, and that cost $30(or more. Its been a while) for each individual permit(1 permit = 1 gun) and it expires in 90 days if you don't use it.

Now NJ is one of the states with tougher gun-control laws, but all states have at least some kind of laws. But the thing is... criminals most likely not purchase their guns legally. In fact the harder you regulate something, the more tempting the illegal, and easier method becomes. Thats true with almost anything.

As to our constitution, the second amendment might have been originally intended to defend against the British, but its still viable. Why do people need the right to arm themselves? Well, thats a hard, but I like the following saying.

"An unarmed man is a Subject. An armed man is a citizen."

Its easier to trample over a persons rights when they're toothless and docile

oh and the big guy? Well thats just one person... and knives are easier to get then guns

Group Leader

Postby Nomad Soul » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:11 pm

"An unarmed man is a Subject. An armed man is a citizen."

Meh..I'd rather use words and reason then weapons.
It's not like we're oppressed in North America any ways.

Flight Leader

Postby Jouby » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:10 pm

The death penalty, the military and guns are all things I banned from my vocabulary when talking to americans. Our two cultures, altough similar, are very different on these points of view.

I understand the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument and I kinda felt it was always weak. I am also canadian and never understood the fascination with fire arms even less why someone could have access to high powered assault rifles. Up here my rights have never been trampled because I was unarmed. And I can say the same since I moved in Mass. At worst, money can always be replaced.

It's fine as a hobby (shooting range) and maybe self defense. But if you don't intend to hunt, one should not have more than a handgun. For hunting purposes, a hunting rifle should be enough, who needs an M-16 to shoot down a deer? unless it's one of those fabled weredeers?

What would I do with my 2000$ you may ask? well I think a trip to europe or asia would be a better investment, from my point of view, than a gun. But to each it's own.
Last edited by Jouby on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Group Leader

Postby Nomad Soul » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:24 pm

I agree.

A gun is a killing weapon. If you're not going to kill with it you might as well not have it around. It's too dangerous to be a mantlepiece.

The same thing irks me with fast cars. What's the difference if your car can go 200 miles an hour? You ever gonna get to do it? No, there's a speed limit. You have to go the same speed as the beat up station wagon beside you on the highway.

It's just people's need to feel powerful in my opinion.

Ji'Tuan

Postby Gideon Krieg » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:32 pm

Gerhard,

If you are interested in joining the US civilian Marksmanship Program (which was created in 1903 by Theadore Roosevelt to arm and train the un-organized militia, i.e. every able bodied man between the ages of 17-45, USC title 10, section 311) here is a link to their website.

http://www.odcmp.com/

Also, SIG arms USA, is releasing a new civilian version of its 550 series of battle rifle as a civilian sporter called the SIG 556.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/S-556.html
"The Duke will die before these eyes...and he'll know...HE'LL KNOW!...that it was I Vladimir Harkonen who encompases his DOOM!!"

Return to General Discussion