Robot Vids

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Game Master

Robot Vids

Postby Halo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:08 pm

Since I've seen a few pics, vids and discussion regarding building robots around here, I thought I'd share some goodies (well, oldie but goodies). :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGrMMlNjBB8
(Check out them kicking the robo-dog? mule? Umm.. whatever the hell it is)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go4iK1Bb ... ansformers

Power Member

Postby shiruikage » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:49 am

wow! the first video is....quite cool. but still not very stable. just a small kick can still balance. wat if a bomb goes off nearby? definately fall down. how to get up then?

Ji'Tuan

Postby Blue Phoenix » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:40 am

At first I thought it was two people playing a trick. But it looks like it is fairly stable on different types of terrain. My only thinking is that they should stop using human or animal design. Though I know we have adapted to our environment with these legs, I believe wheels would be much more stable. You don't see our cars with legs like that. And if you did....I would be seeing a lot more people stomped to death than ran over.

Game Master

Postby Halo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:58 pm

wat if a bomb goes off nearby? definately fall down. how to get up then?

And what would happen if a bomb went off next to you? :lol:

No one says it's perfect . . . it's just progress. :)

My only thinking is that they should stop using human or animal design. Though I know we have adapted to our environment with these legs, I believe wheels would be much more stable.

Oh, there's no doubt about that. That's why fantasy anime Mecha will never be a reality . . . it's just completely impractical. But that’s not the point . . . it’s going for “cool points” :P

Game Master

Postby Koenshaku » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:03 pm

Damn. Soundwave's got some mad skillz, yo.

My only thinking is that they should stop using human or animal design. Though I know we have adapted to our environment with these legs, I believe wheels would be much more stable.

Well, to a point. Ultimately though, a properly developed humanoid or animal-based robot would be much more versatile than a tracked or wheeled robot. Think about all of the places a car or a tank can't go: steep inclines, broken terrain, compact, maze-like spaces, etc. Tracked and wheeled robots are perfect for limited, specific applications and will be vital for developing sensory (can we make a robot see and negotiate corners, etc.) and other technologies, but in the end I feel pretty confident that some form of successful humanoid/animal/insectoid robot will be developed. (Transforming robots are another matter entirely.)

Ji'Tuan

Postby Blue Phoenix » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:59 pm

I'm going to make this short K.

I respect the insect.

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:40 pm

If you can humble me with my 2 cents:

Robots are, or should be, adapted to their environment and 'mission' goals.

Why put legs on a Global Hawk robot drone? Why put treads on the robot mini-sub?

There will be a time when a humanoid shape is needed - such as the new robot receptionist that is being marketed by a temp agency here in Japan (no legs, just a roughly humanoid upper torse and arms. I don't think the thing moves from its 'perch' either.)

Game Master

Postby Koenshaku » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:22 am

such as the new robot receptionist that is being marketed by a temp agency here in Japan

I've read a few articles about that robot. IIRC, it is just an "upper body" mounted on a pedestal behind a desk. An impressive piece of hardware, especially in its replication of a human face.

I'm not arguing that specialized robots are useless or have no place, far from it. Clearly an aerial drone or a mine-clearing robot would only need a very specific form factor; there'd be no need for extraneous bits. But as the technology continues to develop, become more robust and more practical, advances like human imitation (the receptionist example) and the ability to walk and interact in a human environment (the Asimo or the robot in Halo's first video), it will inevitably lead to highly versatile robots that can operate in numerous environments, just like humans and animals.

Will they look exactly like humans or animals? Probably not. But the homages to their various organic counterparts will be plain to see.

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:51 am

Personally, I don't like that robot receptionist. It's one more person out of work (or you could say 'freed up to do other tasks.' But there is a propensity for companies here to higher part-timers and/or temp workers to save money...)

I've also entered a few companies where the 'receptionist' was a telephone with a directory next to it. It's not a friendly reception at all (I guess that's why they invented the receptionist-robot... one step above a telephone.)

Anyhow, there is one situation here in Japan that is pushing for the humanoid form:

Japan is an aging society (as in the majority of the population is getting older.) One problem that is surfacing is that less and less 'able bodied' people are getting training or having careers in care for the elderly. In fact, there is a marked decline of interaction between the youth and the elderly. Which makes for lonely elderly people.

Design firms are, if I'm understanding it correctly, developing some type of robot that talks to and listens to the elderly people - mental health and physical health being linked.

A humanoid body in this situation is a given... as what type of mental health will arrise from talking to a giant robotic cockroach? ;)

Flight Leader

Postby Jouby » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:27 am

I'm a Chem. Eng. at heart, but this discussion made me remeber that my old school in Quebec had a good robotics labs (at the expense of the Chem Eng labs... :() called Laborius

http://www.gel.usherbrooke.ca/laborius/projects.html

Anyway, I went back to see if they had anything ineresting and, sure enough, I found some stuff you guys might find cool. The most facinating is the Azimut 2 robot that has all of legs, weels AND tracks.

http://www.robomotio.com/azimut2_eng.html#imavid.

other note worthy robots are Roball, a ball shaped robot and a robot toy called robotism that could have uses with children afflicted by autism.

As one of my teachers keep saying, let's start off by doing something simple well, before going to something more complexe, and I agree with this philosophy. That's why I'don't agree when people say that robots won't resemble animals or humans. Maybe not the first ones, but when basic reactive drones will be perfected, it's human nature to surpass ourselves, and, dare I say it, maybe our own god complexe that will push us to make robots, in our image.

I'm just sending out thoughts like this, to fuel the conversation.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Shadow Skull » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:40 pm

Jouby, I agree that some people will make robots more human and/or animal like because of their egos. I also think some will create robots that resemble animals and/or humans to see how well technology can mimic the real thing.

Granted there is some marketability in designing robots that resemble life like animals. Just think a parent can would still be able to give there kid a dog and not have to worry about it ruining the floor or furniture.
Silence may be "Golden," but ducktape is Silver.

Can now be reached at my old e-mail and IM account

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:19 pm

Shadow Skull wrote:Just think a parent can would still be able to give there kid a dog and not have to worry about it ruining the floor or furniture.

They actually have that here in Japan already. http://www.sony.net/Products/aibo/

Game Master

Postby Halo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:14 pm

Fan made, but shows hope for the upcoming movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol49i2OU ... us%20prime

Game Master

Postby Halo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:50 pm

Return to General Discussion