Valkyries

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

White Knight

Valkyries

Postby InfernosCaress » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:13 am

Here you, all mainline Valkyries up to 2067.

Game Master

Re: Valkyries

Postby Cobalt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:49 am

Thank you, kind sir.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:24 pm

I wouldn’t call this a list of mainline ones though, as at least two are one-off customs.

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:04 pm

Eh, fair enough. The mainline ones in there, though.

For the record, if you mean the MAXL and the Fire Valkyrie, those are Hero Unit representatives of variants. There are default military MAXL units; they don't have boobs and aren't pink, but they do exist. They are a mix of the VF-11 and the -16. As for the Fire Valkyrie, there are at least three that shown in Canon: Ray's that Basara always uses, adult Elma's Wind Valkyrie, and Sheryl Nome's which as I far as I know doesn't have a name.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:37 am

Any stat/information sites I've seen list the MAXL and Fire as one-off customs. I know I saw a green version of the fire, but again, a one-off (that I think was made by a fan? ).

As for some of the others... The Seiran-99Kou, Ve-88 Versten, and BG-5C Fatman were all from a design series by Kawamori. Some of the designs from that series did evolve into VFs used in macross (such Varuata Elgerzorene) but not these three.

List is also missing the VF-171, and I'm a little iffy on the VF-31 Siegfried, since what I understand, they are customized and improved VF-31 Kairos only used by Delta Flight, but I didn't watch the whole series and movie, so maybe that changed.

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:25 pm

I didn't make the list. I just pulled it from one of the official info books. There are a lot more designs in there that are not on the list of in-use machines.

Some of those shown are Civilian Government models. Police, National Guard, and the like.

The default VF-11 MAXL was mentioned in the Canon game M3, with a squadron running support on the same world in one of the missions. They are also listed on Macross Compendium under the Vf-11 list. They were not shown onscreen, so any images that I could provide of would be questionable. Some of the others listed there were playable, like the Crusader.

The green VF-19 is Elma's Wind Valkyrie. Elma is a supporting character in "The Ride" novels and in the Macross E manga. Both are Canon entries, so they count.

EDIT: I didn't address the other part, did I? Pfft.

The VF-171 is the mass production version of the 17. No real reason to list it twice, I guess.

The VF-31... the Siegfried is the low-maneuverability, high-stability variant of the VF-31. It is designed for low speed atmospheric use in close ground support. The Kairos is the mainline version, designed for space combat; It looks just like the YF-30. Again, it probably wasn't listed on the image table because it would be the same image with a different paint scheme. They are seen in the series, though.
Last edited by InfernosCaress on Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:27 pm

Here is a MAXL and Fire-style Valkyrie in 2059. I screen shotted it from one of the movies:

Postby Kosh » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:47 pm

Its a cracking list regardless, some VFs there I have never seen before too. Cheers for sharing it.

Edit

Found this too

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:31 pm

I’ll give you the MAXL since I missed it, but it’s still not the one listed there. And I’m not saying the Wind isn’t canon, but I seriously doubt it was ever more than limited production run. Possibly a civilian model?

As to the VF-171... The VF-17 is the mass production version of the VF-17. Yes, it wasn’t produced in the numbers of the VF-1, VF-4, or VF1-11, but the design was distributed throughout the Spacy. It’s like the F-86 Sabre and the F-86D Sabre (Sabre Dog). They might share the nearly same name, but only had a 25% commonality between the airframes.

Now that bit about the Siegfried makes no sense. High stability? Maybe. Low maneuverability? No. They were meant for aerobatic performances in unison with Walküre. You would not want to make them less maneuverable.

Postby Kosh » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:55 pm

Is the difference not similar to the types of VF19's? We have a version for atmosphere and a version for space? Obviously not exclusive but one was more manoeuvrable in the environment it was designed for?

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:07 pm

I didn't make up the stuff about the Siegfried. It was listed in the design notes.

You can't have high maneuverability and high stability at the same time. Those are the same parts tuned in opposite directions. Don't misunderstand. Those avionic terms and not performance-based. In this instance, High Maneuverability is akin to a hair trigger on a gun: a twitch of the stick causes the craft to roll. High Stability means that there is a degree of play to flight stick. The craft can still roll and spin, it simply requires a greater range of motion to do it. Now, you may have noticed that the Siegfried has forward-swept wings. This causes air to be pulled close to the fuselage. That means that the flaps (located on the inner portion of the wing) have a greater influence than the ailerons (on the outer half of the wing). At low speed where air flow is more evenly distributed, the flaps have to move further than they do at high speed to cause the same degree of tilt. This makes the craft more stable. That is the Siegfried's job: at low speed, it doesn't roll as easily. It can stay close to the ground with a minimum chance of accidentally tipping and having its wings clip the dirt.

Incidentally, High Stability is what causes it to do those barrel rolls that you see. It spins with a gap like moving along the outside of a barrel. A High Maneuverability model performs aileron rolls (spinning almost in place without the rotation gap) with the same motion of the controls.

Is the difference not similar to the types of VF19's? We have a version for atmosphere and a version for space?

Yes. The VF-19S and F are for use in space and have wide-base wings and vernier thrusters, where as the VF-19A and E (and the Fire Valkyrie) have thin wings all of the way down and canards, which obviously only work in an atmosphere.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:05 pm

InfernosCaress wrote:I didn't make up the stuff about the Siegfried. It was listed in the design notes.

Links to those design notes would helpful. I've looked at two or three mecha stat sites and I don't recall seeing that.

In fact the Macross Compendium says this...
Forward-swept wing for improved maneuverability (VF-31C, E, F, J and S) at low speeds in atmosphere during Var suppression

And I've looked up those avionics terms. It seems more like Maneuverability and Controllability are opposing values, not Maneuverability and Stability, which makes much more sense to me. Some helpful info for me here.

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:48 pm

Gerhard wrote:Links to those design notes would helpful. I've looked at two or three mecha stat sites and I don't recall seeing that.

It would be a lot easier if you would just take my word on it. Anyway, it was somewhat addressed on-screen. Episoooode... I want to say Three. It was during the training mission with VF-1EX’s adjusted to behave like the Siegfried.

The low mobility was offset by designing the outer half of the wing to fold down when high speed, removing the ailerons from the equation and lowering the flight profile. Doing so cuts the stability significantly. The onboard flight computer makes adjustments to keep the craft in the air. It will override pilot input to do so. This is why the wings are went working a ground support and folded when in they need rapid movement like in dogfights.

Of course, the real reason for the forward-swept wings is because the broken delta design of the YF-30 and VF-31A looked too much like the enemy fighters and they wanted to make it easier to audience to tell who was who.

And I've looked up those avionics terms. It seems more like Maneuverability and Controllability are opposing values, not Maneuverability and Stability, which makes much more sense to me.

Same-Difference as far as this conversation goes. Controllability is the pilot making the craft stay level and Stability is the craft's ability to stay level without the pilot making micro-adjustments (hands-off being the apt term).

And now for the long part.

There is a lot to unpack, so I am just going to hit the highlights if it all the same with you.
The balancer system used for stability only works until Mach 2.

The engines are similar to that of the VF-25, but the angle was changed from 30 degrees to 38 and has 25% higher output. The thermonuclear reactor produces plasma as a means of thrust. Meanwhile, the Pin-Point Barrier system redirects the plasma as well as the airflow coming from the nose cone to flaps in order to increase the range of maneuverability. It is also used to lower air resistance by deflecting it away from Valkyrie, which allows it to maneuver in ways that it would otherwise not be able to.

The -31 has an RCS like the -19 but there are three of them linked in to an MFDS (Multi Flight Dynamic System) with four addition ports on the upper and lower surface. These are controlled by the flight computer and operate without pilot input.

When in thin atmosphere or in space, the VF-31 uses its onboard water supply, breaking it down in to constituent elements. It then liquefies the oxygen and sprays it out of the thrusters.

If you want to know more, you should pick up the Master File book. It’s about $35 USD. It has some other fun stuff, like the different squadrons:

Postby Kosh » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:26 am

I'm not a technophile or anything but...

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:28 am

Then no doubt you would love to know that there is a Master File book are pretty much every mainline fighter and some customs have entire books unto themselves, like Roy's VF-1.

Postby Kosh » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:39 am

Sadly as I do not read Japanese it would simply be a very expensive picture book for me :(

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:54 am

But there aaaae lots of the piiiictuuuuuures. What more could one want from a picture book?

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:09 pm

I got a hold of the two Visual Books for The Ride. These are not the novels, but are instead Behind-The-Scenes and Setting books. There are tons of Valkyrie Variants in them: Civilian, Racers, Custom Mods. they are often shown along the normal type so that you can see the differences between them.

Each book is around 80 pages long. I am in the processes of fixing up the scans, removing the center binding overlap from them, and such. When I am finished, I will turn them in to PDFs so that y'all can flip through them if you want look at the pretty pictures. That will take a few more hours (it's already taken me most of the day). In the meantime, here are a couple that may be of interest.

Purity Board Approved!

This one is belongs to Sister Nicole from the Church Of The Interstellar Cross. She travels around the galaxy with her portable confessional to save the souls of the people. It says that it is a lightweight model, with only the cockpit having any amour.

FSN News Valkyrie

It is a VF-11B fitted with -11D's twin-seat cockpit that has been modified for reporter use. The rear seat is for the journalist and has numeral monitors so that they can switch active feeds while reporting. The front seat, in addition to the flight controls, has a broadcasting set up to serve as a mobile television station.

YF-27-5 Female Variant.

This is a Does-Not-Officially-Exist Black-Ops-Only Valkyrie and is highly illegal even for military ownership. It lacks the built-in secondary engines of the standard -27 so that it can equip different Packs. It has the illegal Brain Interface Device of the YF-21. It has active stealth, passive stealth, and the ability to infiltrate other Valkyries' targeting computers and feed them false data about its location and heading. It is equipped with a Heavy variant of the VF-27's Main Gun. This version is so much larger that it cannot be mounted to the centerline of the body; it has to be put on the right-underside because the YF-27 Female's frame has a reactor line dedicated to powering it (it's jettisonable, from under the opposite wing from the gun). As those of you who have seen Frontier know, the VF-27's Main Gun can split open and works like a Mini-Macross Cannon for blowing past fighters' combined barriers and armour and that doesn't require a dedicated reactor. So let that sink in for a minute.
Last edited by InfernosCaress on Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:13 am

That is awesome. I look forward to seeing the PDFs.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:51 am

Here they are:

Book 1:

https://mega.nz/file/j1cnRKhL#h3a6hnM1W ... qZn2HjEcmg

Book 2:

https://mega.nz/file/ukFHDIpb#B2VrbQOTt ... ZDoenop7p4

The first one has behind-the-scenes stuff. The second book has more images and in-universe stuff.

As long as I am posting things, this went up on the official site earlier:

https://macross.jp/special/utamacrosslive2021_aw1yo1/

The text at the bottom of the link says that there will be four specials on their youtube channel between the 30th and March. It will be concerts with 3D live performances and Full-Length Anime. The first one will focus on the Frontier Girls (which I am sure you would totally never have been able to figure out from the banner).

Some of the behind-the-scenes stuff for the Delta movie had Freyja's VA goofing off in a camera-lined mocap room that had her character on the display responding in real time. I wonder if that is what they are planning on doing for the Live 3D portions, having their actresses in that room while the characters mimic them onscreen. The description is also written in the same manner as the cellphone rhythm game's title but that would not be very Live, would it? Although, I guess if they linked the game's models to the mocap program...

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:53 pm

New stuff shown the other day:

VF-31AX:

Armor Pack:

Return to General Discussion