Great Reads

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Assistant Game Master

Great Reads

Postby Gerhard » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:06 pm

Hey guys, I wanted to share one of my favorite authors with you.

Elliot Kay writes the Poor Man's Fight series of books. Book five just dropped, and I grabbed it without hesitation.

I also noticed that the first two books are on sale right now on Amazon for $1.99 each. Grab them both if you can.

Poor Man's Fight - Tanner Malone just wanted to head of to college and get a job surveying planets. But when he bombs The Test and ends up with a huge amount of financial debt, his plans are derailed. Enlisting in his local system's navy to take advantage of a debt reduction incentive, Tanner finds himself in Basic just as the government starts a build up to deal with ever increasing threats. Soon, the easy enlistment Tanner had imagined turns into anything but when he faces off with pirates and more.

Rich Man's War - Archangel has made a stand against the big three corporations, kicking them out of their system and nullifying the debts of their citizens owed to them. But the big three is not going to let that stand. They have to make an example of Archangel, but Tanner Malone and the brave men and women of the Navy and Marines aren't going to let that happen without a fight.

Game Master

Re: Great Reads

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:27 pm

Interesting. Sounds like a good read indeed. Thanks G.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:24 am

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:06 am

Hey, I will add to this.

Expeditionary Force by Craig Alanson: It is a semi-serious Sci-Fi series (currently 5 1/2 books long beginning with Columbus Day) about a not-that-bright man named Bishop in the contemporary military when the Earth get invaded by hamsters from outerspace, who are working for their masters, the gambling-addicted spiders from outerspace. Earth is defended shortly thereafter by the hamster's arch-nemesis, the sexist lizards from outerspace. Earth gets drafted in their war.

By a minor miracle, Bishop pulls off one lucky action against the hamsters and the lizards demand that he be instantly promoted from grunt to Colonel. Immediately afterward, he finds out that the lizards and their masters, the little green cyborgs from outerspace were truly evil, which comes as no surprise to anyone. He is promptly arrested and sentenced to death. Bishop has to make a daring escape from an alien planet with the help of an asshole magical talking beer can from outerspace.

If possible, I would recommend the audiobook version, as the author likes to give characters stupid names and vocal habits for the sole purpose of fucking with R. C. Bray, who has to read it.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:31 am

I actually have read that one (first book anyway).

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:18 am

I quite enjoy the series, myself. Good to know that I am not the only one who has heard of it.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force book 1)

There’s the link if anybody wants to check it out.

Honestly, it wasn’t bad, but I’m not sure if I’ll continue with the rest of the series. I have a bunch of series I’m working on. Maybe if the rest of the books go on sale. I’m cheap like that sometimes XD

Also... Deus ex beer can. XD

White Knight

Postby InfernosCaress » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:37 pm

The first book was arguably the worst in the series. The rest of the series has a lot more space combat and covert missions.

If you're cheap, you can sign up for a free trial with Audible's website for most English countries as they don't share member's lists. You get two free audio books from each one. Then just cancel your membership. :wink:

Return to General Discussion