J.D. Salinger passes away...

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Webmaster (F)

J.D. Salinger passes away...

Postby Lanji » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:52 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584 ... 0000:b0:z5

The only reason I'm posting this was I recently watched Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex, where Salinger's Catcher in the Rye was featured a great deal.

I for one have never completely read the story, but I believe the small section that was presented as it was in GitS:SAC was very interesting.

Does anyone here at the MRC tell a story (either here in game, or in their home games) that relies on someone else's story as a core component of their story?

Group Leader

Postby inix88 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:05 pm

I use large chunks or Charles Bukowski's work for inspiration. My character, "Henry Chinaski" is the fictional autobiographical alias of said author. I find the gritty uber-realism of Bukowski's lifelong investigation of experiential desperation and resignation give Macross a Cowboy Bepop-esque Camus-like existentialist fury.

Mr. Salinger, though, today's obit star, stands as a strange icon to writers: He wrote such a great book, then refused to speak to the public through art again after that. He said that his writing was for himself only, and that publishing was a "huge intrusion into [his] personal privacy."

Well, I've never had anything published, and he did. Maybe he knew more about it than I do.

Yeh, I know he did.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Salinger. May death bring you the peace that eluded you in life.

Return to General Discussion