Cerberus Lives

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Flight Leader

Cerberus Lives

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Well everyone I finally finished the first chapter of my fanfic.

It's up on fanfic.net. The url: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4860996/1/

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me out, from Mr f who gave me the idea to everyone who helped me decide on what fighters to use.

Thanks

Flight Leader

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:23 am

Ok, I'm thinking about nuking Cerberus Squadron. :evil:

So far I have no reviews on FanFiction (positive or negative) and while I'm not sure this is a bad sign, it makes me wonder if anyone has read it. Ofourse if I'd written a Rick/Hikaru and Lisa/Misa love story I'd probably have tons of reviews :roll: .

I just feel like my writing skills are not up to the task. My story seems lacking in some way. Any suggestions?

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:09 pm

Give it more time. Don't write for reviews. If you enjoy it, write for yourself. the thing about FanFiction.com is that it is primarily a place for rotten slash fic.

Create a livejournal account and post it there. That will get more reputable viewers, too. I avoid FanFiction.com like it has the plague.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Game Master

Postby BEAR » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Seriously. LJ for the win.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:28 pm

It's always hard to get people to read your stuff. they always say they want to, but most people won't make it past the first few paragraphs. When I had my creative writing classes almost every review I had was worded just like this, "I don't normally read this kind of story, but it was very good." What are the odds that more than three people actually read it? It was very frustrating trying to improve my writing when I couldn't get any feedback. Even my wife, who always says she wants to read my story hasn't been able to get past chapter two of my novel.

On another note, you should always be looking for places to submit short stories. The better the title, the more likely people will be to read a short story. I submitted a story to a Left4Dead fanfic competition last month and got third place, so that made me feel good.

Also, you should start looking into getting ready for NaNoWriteMo - National Novel Writing Month in November. Visit the site now to get an idea of what's people have done and what's expected.

Finally, don't feel bad if you have difficulty writing while your young. Apparently, many published authors don't start writing until they are in their fifties.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:53 pm

I liked it. It was a good read and I look forward to you next offering.

Game Master

Postby BEAR » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:56 pm

araruin wrote:Finally, don't feel bad if you have difficulty writing while your young. Apparently, many published authors don't start writing until they are in their fifties.

*cries*

Flight Leader

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:44 am

Yeah FanFic does have some awful stories (War Hammer 40k/Star Trek fan fic :o ).

I'm not writing for reviews, I just don't feel like anyone is reading it. It's like painting a picture and the no one will take a look at it. I just would like to know what I'm doing right or wrong as it's the only way I'll improve. As Araruin said it's frustrating.

I'll create a livejournal account today and move cerberus there. I think I'm going to edit the ending as well, because I accidentally deleted part of the briefing at the end.

Thanks Sabre, I'm working on chapter 2. Hope to have it up soon.

I can understand why most authors don't strart writing until they're in their fifties. That's a good age to write because you have life experience and perspective to put it in... atleast IMHO.

Arauin, thanks for letting me know about NaNoWriteMo. I'll definetly check the site out. On the short stories, where do you find the places? Guess I could google.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:53 am

I usually stumble upon the small competitions. The last one I was in was in a group on RedvsBlue. It was just sponsored by the group. I've also written for a fansight for GuildWars. Many fansites will sponsor contests to get more traffic on their site and promote whatever they are fans of.

Flight Leader

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:52 am

RvB? Didn't know anything went on there beside the usual craziness. That's why I stay away from the forums. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open incase something else happens.

Guess on the fansites, I'll have to google and keep my eyes open. Thanks for the info Araruin :D

Ok, I've created a live journal account and posted the first chapter up (a little modified for the things I deleted by accident when editing).

http://ecraft83.livejournal.com/734.html

Return to General Discussion