New Robotech RPG Book from Palladium

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Game Master

New Robotech RPG Book from Palladium

Postby Halo » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:08 pm

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/press/press2007-09b.html

Yeah, I know... it's Robotech, not Macross. And the consensus seems to be that the Palladium System and Ruleset was more of a necessary evil that's no longer necessary. But, I still was a little surprised to see them back in the Robotech RPG market.

Interesting quote: "The manga size: With the popularity of manga and anime, this compact format will pay homage to Robotech’s Japanese origins. The games and sourcebooks will contain about 192-224 pages and will measure approximately 5 x 7 ½ inches."

Ewwww.... yeah, I can see this as a smart move from a business standpoint, and can't blame them .... but as a consumer, I REALLY don't want manga-size for my RPG books.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:20 pm

I'll probably buy it. I can't help myself.

Postby Tiree » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:37 pm

Oddly enough I am actually looking forward to the new books. But as a side note, Palladium is also going to put out a regular size book - probably with lots of extra material.

So I'll buy both - I am glutton for punishment!

Game Master

Postby Halo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:53 pm

Palladium is also going to put out a regular size book - probably with lots of extra material.

I REALLY hope you're right. The press release says they are "considering" doing that ... which is often akin to my considering one day becoming the wealthiest man on earth. Doesn't mean it'll ever happen, but - hey, at least I'm considering it! :D

They also say their "plan" is to release all-new sourcebooks for Macross, Southern Cross and New Generation. But I doubt that plan has gone much further than the "gee, wouldn't it be great if" stage.

Then again, as long as Sabre is around he may single-handedly fund this whole new venture and problem solved! :lol:

Postby Tiree » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:47 pm

I PM'd Alex M about pre-ordering the book. He says that they are still in negotiations over it. And once it is official they will put up a Pre-Order for it.

I am hoping there is, because I think Sabre is not the only one willing to fund the whole project.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:31 pm

No need for me to fund the project. Halo I predict, WILL be the richest man on Earth but only if he remembers to take the same set of dice that he used during Shiro's last combat.

Halo my man, you take that set of dice to Vegas and you'll be rolling in the money, those greenbacks of yours, (which is no longer woth as much as the Canadian dollar) so you need to win even more to come visit me.

Game Master

Postby Halo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:27 am

Halo I predict, WILL be the richest man on Earth but only if he remembers to take the same set of dice that he used during Shiro's last combat.

Now there's a damn good idea... "Never mind the green twenty-sided die, Mr. Pit Boss, sir. I assure you it's approved by the Nevada Games Commission."

those greenbacks of yours, (which is no longer worth as much as the Canadian dollar)

True... apparently Canada's chief export is backyard kung-fu movies, and there's no way we can keep up with that!! :P

Delta Member

Postby Max_Booker » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:13 pm

I may have to pick those new books up when they are released....especaly since D&D 4th edition was anounced :-(

Postby Tiree » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:44 pm

I just read on the PB Boards that this book is really coming together and should be out pretty soon.

Apollo - one of the artists mentioned that it is going to the printer on the 8th of February (so this Friday!). In the PB Press Release they say it should be out by the end of the month (27th!)

Nice things that have been mentioned in the Press Release:

MOS System! w00t!
It has been given the Rifts Ultimate Edition revision - so probably more skills for characters.
and the kicker - Mega Damage of Mecha has been crept up to the power levels of Rifts apparently!

It should be quite interesting to see...

And if you don't like the Manga Size they are planning a regular size in the summer!

Delta Member

Postby Max_Booker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:20 am

Tiree wrote:I just read on the PB Boards that this book is really coming together and should be out pretty soon.

Apollo - one of the artists mentioned that it is going to the printer on the 8th of February (so this Friday!). In the PB Press Release they say it should be out by the end of the month (27th!)

Nice things that have been mentioned in the Press Release:

MOS System! w00t!
It has been given the Rifts Ultimate Edition revision - so probably more skills for characters.
and the kicker - Mega Damage of Mecha has been crept up to the power levels of Rifts apparently!

It should be quite interesting to see...

And if you don't like the Manga Size they are planning a regular size in the summer!

All of this sounds prity good. Has anything been said about the new book(s) on the RT web site?

Postby Tiree » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:12 am

Max_Booker wrote:All of this sounds prity good. Has anything been said about the new book(s) on the RT web site?

I actually have not been on the RT Boards for a while. But I do know there were some threads when the announcement came out that Palladium got the license again.

Delta Member

Postby Max_Booker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:39 pm

Ah, ok. I havent been there in ages myself.

Postby Tiree » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:54 pm

The new Robotech Book is at the printers - I am hoping of getting my book within a week, week and a half.

Postby Tiree » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:34 pm

March 20th is when the book is going to ship... oh well.

Is there any thoughts on what the new RPG books will do for the Macross OCC's here on the boards? Not to mention MDC for Veritechs and vehicles?

It shipped!

Postby Tiree » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:16 pm

So I am pretty excited, the new RPG has now shipped, and my grubby hands will have it shortly!

Game Master

Postby araruin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:17 am

I have the new Robotech Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game book. It's only $17 and includes stats on most of what we saw in the movie. They don't really focus on ship stats, though.

They are also planning on releasing sourcebooks for Macross, Robotech Masters, Next Generation, and Shadow Chronicles, but this is the one with all the game rules in it, so if you don't have any Robotech rulebooks, this is an excellent buy.

I'll have to pull out my old books to check, but it looks like they've beefed up the hits on the Invid some. The weapon damage all looks about the same. They've changed some of the unit names too. The Armoured Scout is now the Fighter Scout. The Pincer Command Unit is now the Enforcer, and the Enforcer is now the Solder. They have also added a transformable fighter called the Overlord.

They've have changed the classes to include MOS for all of them. This will actually allow a bit more character versatiity, so I'm all for it.

There are also stats in the back for the major characters from the movie, including Janice and Arial.

For $17, I would say it is a great investment.

Postby Tiree » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:10 am

Cost to book ratio - it is a great investment.

I could not stand waiting for mine to show up in the Mail, so on Saturday I picked up a copy at my FLGS. There were two copies left, and btw Palladium is now backordered. So the next printing should go up by 2 dollars (still a good deal).

Some good things: There seems to be 5 OCC's and it is fleshed out with a variety of MOS's. It looks like you can create some specialized MOS's to help bring the world more flavor.

Other Good things: They bring in a lot from The Shadow Chronicles, and what has been shown from the movie and video games. They have the Overlord and other various mecha from the video games, and then they add in the Silverback Veritech Car from the RPG. Not to mention the Condor (non transformable Battloid)

Some of the Bad things: The layout of the book is not the greatest. It goes Bad Guy mecha, Brief Timeline, Player Character OCC's, Good Guy Mecha, Rules and Stuff. This is by far my biggest gripe, as you have to look forward and backwards through the book to make what you want. Not to mention that they have complete separate entries for the 3 different models of the Silverback. This is not too bad, except that they could have consolidated the entries more like what they did with the VF/A's.

Interesting points: Apparently the mecha have been upgraded to Hybrid technologies - so they can run for a while without using protoculture. There is no Petrol utilized vehicles in the book, nor are some of the other vehicles from the Invid Invasion or Sentinel's book - just the basics. It is really geared to play a Reflex Point game only in my mind.

MDC Values have been modified from the original game, including weapon damage values. One of them was the EP-37 it does a 5 round burst that does the big damage. This of course is more accurate to the Shadow Chronicle Movie. Alpha's and Beta's were up gunned and armored. Invid were up Armored also.

Attacks Per Melee - this is a slight stickier than I thought it would be. Everyone starts with 4 or 3 based on their Hand to Hand like the new Rifts UE. But Mecha Combat does not bump it up by 2 or 3 based on the type of Mecha you are in. Instead it seems like it's a standard +1 if your trained and +0 if your not. It really makes characters like Rand and Rook very effective for being non-combatants, but skilled in their Mecha. Plus they have some goodies that can boost a character that sort of make them stand out. So that should be fun. Also it appears that SDC is reduced by about half, and that the base SDC is based on the MOS not the OCC.

Postby Tiree » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:57 pm

Well - apparently there was a computer glitch, so Palladium is not backordered yet. So pick up your copy!

I have to admit, I am really liking the new format. I still would have had the layout be a little different (OCC's near the skills and rules) but it is still very good. Very easy to make a VHT Pilot using the rules, just need to create a new OCC/MOS - but it should be fairly easy. They have statted out Loui Nichols in the back of the book.

All in all, I am excited about trying this new book out. Anyone else here picked up a copy?

Postby Tiree » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:50 pm

Well - I broke down and did it. I am running an online TSC Game in the Invid Invasion Era. I was hoping that I could have set it up during the post masters, beginning of the Invid Invasion. But it is being set in the Mars Division launch.

I took the game over from a missing GM - So I had to work with what the players had already wanted. So far, I have a good crew of folks, and we are about to hit the first set of combat. Should be interesting.

Take a look http://www.otherworlds.explorersunlimited.com/

Postby Tiree » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:06 pm

A New Macross Era book is shipping today. Looks very promising, lots of mecha. EU is doing a Macross game also.

I have to admit that I like the new character generation rules in RT:TSC/Macross than Macross II

Postby Tiree » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Okay - I am not sure if anyone has been playing the new Robotech RPG here or not. If you have, and you want a useful character generation tool, let me know. I built one using Excel, and would like to have some feedback.

Return to General Discussion