Harry Potter Movie

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Game Master

Harry Potter Movie

Postby MustangGT02 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:05 am

Just come home from the midnight showing of the new Harry Potter Movie and I wont spoil it for those who havent seen it, but it was worth the wait. I recomend seeing it.

~M

PS.
The things we do for the ones we love. My wife and kid.
"Luke...I am your father..." ~ Empire Strikes Back

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:44 pm

I'm about to see it next week. So no spoilers yet XD

Squad Leader

Postby tralnon » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:01 am

it.. it's just awesome. ^^;

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:02 am

Ok, now I have seen it. And I have noticed it only gets darker and darker as the story progress. The jokes and comical moments thou, has been thinned out. Can be bacuse of the dark times but I guess it's for turning up the seriousness with the whole Harry Potter universe.

Squad Leader

Postby tralnon » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:13 am

also because at that time in the series, Rowling was having a lot of problems in life, and it ended up translating into the book. ^^; course, never read them.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:58 am

I was excited when I went to see it this past Saturday.

Very Minor Spoilers Below.

But in all honesty, when I got out of the theater, I was disappointed. I didn't dislike the movie but I was extremely disappointed. The pacing was off and it dragged through most of the movie. They cut out most of the interesting parts and didn't explain the tidbits they left in (like when Malfoy and his cronies become Inquisitors).

All of the drama around the Harry/Voledmort connection was thrown out. The Harry-Jame/Sirius trouble was thrown out. The Sirius/Snape conflict was thrown out.

The director took the longest book and made the shortest movie. And the messed up thing is he is directing the next one too.

The good news is that I have the last book now and will begin reading it tonight.

Flight Leader

Postby Sparky » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:25 pm

WOO HOO FOR WIZARD BATTLES!!!

yup, you heard it right folks, epic wizards battles ftw. The only redeeming factor of the movie in my eyes.

PS: I read the last book in 19 hours, give or take a few minutes.
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." - Optimus Prime

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:12 pm

I think I have to read the books. Sounds like I missed alot of happenings and explanations that never made it into the movie.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:14 pm

The books are much better than the movies. Much much better. There is just tons of stuff that never made it into the movies out of all the books.

Game Master

Postby araruin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:14 am

You couldn't get a whole Harry Potter book into a movie unless it was 8-10 hours long.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:59 am

Very true but I think the director cut too much out. I understand Quidditch is expensive to do visually but the sub-plot about Sirius/Harry I think needed to be included, as well as the Snape/Sirius thing so that the later movies make sense without even more having to be cut out.

I mean, they even cut Harry's confrontation with Dumbledore at the end.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Gerhard » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:29 pm

I've always thought, since seeing the first film, that each book would be done more justice as a mini-series, one for each book. That way everything could be included.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:25 pm

I agree with you there. If they had done it as an HBO miniseries (or something) then it would have had more depth. And with filming in seasons, the kids would not have outaged their characters.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Bleu » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:45 pm

Cobalt wrote:I agree with you there. If they had done it as an HBO miniseries (or something) then it would have had more depth. And with filming in seasons, the kids would not have outaged their characters.

Well, don't despair too much. Hollywood has been on a cross media sequel to the sequel trend for the past 2 decades, at least. Look at Star Wars. First the Clone Wars 2D animation short series; now Lucasfilm is about to launch a full blown 3D animation tv series of Clone Wars. There is a Lord of the Rings live stage musical currently touring Europe, I think. Disney is EVER the direct to video or television sequel mogul, not to mention live stage musicals to boot.

With the heaping amounts of money AND the huge following the HP books and films have generated, I would not be surprised to see a sequel, or retelling of the tales to fill in the blanks (like the upcoming new Clone Wars) project on the horizon fairly soon, or at the very latest, shortly after the final film of the series has been released.

Always remember, where the entertainment industry concerned, it loves a sure fire guarantee (hence their proclivity of sequels these days); and it always boils down to the "almighty dollar". If they can milk it for all it's worth and more, they will. ;)

*Bleu pauses to take a big gulp of air*

All that to say, in the end, you all just might get your wish for a HP cable series afterall. :)

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:47 am

That would be really cool but I don't think it will happen for a while.

I mean, Dune (with Sting) was awful in terms of sticking to the book but it took nearly 30 years for the mini-series to finally be made (which was much much better).

But I guess it would be worth a wait (but not 30 years) to see a properly done HP cable series.

Assistant Game Master

Postby Bleu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:36 pm

Yeh. But if you remember, Dune, the motion picture was not well received by the fans or moviegoers and didn't do so well in the box office. Hence, no one in the industry was too anxious to revisit the story.

Remember? That "almighty dollar" rule is ever present and at work in Hollywood. :)

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:40 pm

Sadly, the reverse might be true of the HP films. They have made mad money so they might not think they can tap the well again so soon.

le sigh

Assistant Game Master

Postby Bleu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:57 pm

That is a possibility. BUT, I've never seen Hollywood satisfied w/TOO much money. However, depending upon how Rowling arranged her contracts, SHE may not want to allow them to make any more films or tv series, for the sake of preserving the integrity of the story/saga. Spielberg usually does that. He typically avoids sequels to avoid over exposing a character or to preserve the integrity of a film story.

At least, that was the reason he gave us when he wouldn't allow Universal Studios theme park to create a walk around costume character E.T. to promote the E.T. Adventure ride when it first opened. Sadly, despite being a technological and effects wonder, that attraction has since been removed and replaced by The Mummy rollercoaster, a not so spectular attraction in design or effects. *le sigh*

But THAT is another topic altogether. Getting back on topic...

I still think it's quite possible another series will surface soon, in another medium, perhaps.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:16 pm

One hope is that it will be translated into an anime.

I believe it has already been translated/being translated into a manga. It might be really cool if we get a decent animation company/director to do it. Just so long as it is not a lame company (Personally, I couldn't stand the Chronicles of Riddick anime).

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:52 am

Then you should have seen SIN: The Movie. Based on the game with the same name. Not the best I have seen though... But it is a good exampel Harry Potter could become a full anime series.
Although... we already got Negima... Bummer! ><

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1654 ... i_neg.html <- Link for the curious ones ^^

Return to General Discussion