A Trip Down Memory Lane: "Power On!!"

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Game Master

A Trip Down Memory Lane: "Power On!!"

Postby Halo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:29 pm

Wow . . . it's amazing what one can just randomly stumbled upon while browsing YouTube. Anyone else remember Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhvSE1ay1-o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC0luWMxnPM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGgvpGbDrs

This was the show back when I was a kid. My friends and I pretty much worshiped it. And you know what -- here come the flames :) -- it actually seems to hold up fairly well. Don't get me wrong, it's lame. But when it comes to revisiting childhood favorites for the first time in 20 years, and seeing them with adult eyes, it's not nearly as bad as I expected.

EDIT: After watching some more clips, I've changed my mind. It really is as bad as I feared. :lol:

Staff Trainee

Postby Genjuro Vagetta » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:55 pm

LOL I remember that. "THE POWER OF THE FUTURE IS IN YOUR HANDS!!" I had the XT-7 and the Phantom. LOL Love those toys. LOL I even got the old Videos that cam with the toys LOL. :P
Don't hunt for death, for it finds us all soon enough.

Game Master

Postby Halo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:10 pm

Get outta here! You had the toys??

I grew up fairly poor back when this show was on, and didn't have any of the toys... nor did any of my friends. I always wondered -- did they really work? I mean, the shooting at the screen and stuff. I always wondered if it worked, then why haven't any other show since then tried it...

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:11 am

Shit! What a kick-ass series you guys watched when you were young.

Was that the Sith Lord as the main antagonist? He resembles him very well. Very evil! :lol:

Staff Trainee

Postby Genjuro Vagetta » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:27 am

The video was there simply to catch your imagination. shooting at the TV only made you think you were actually there. As kids it was easy to be captivated by it. I know I was LOL. Now from a grown up's perspective it was lame. But who cares about what grown up think when you are a kid? :wink: :P

Staff Trainee

Postby Genjuro Vagetta » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:29 am

Oh yes and there was an adaptor that came along with it that was timed to shoot a radeo wave out and if the wave hit your toy it would automatically make it eject its cockpit the way it would if you aimed it at another persons toy and pulled the trigger.

Postby Phantomj » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:05 pm

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! GET THE FLASH BACK OUT OF MY HEAD! YOU ROCK!

Yes, I do remember that. Yes, I too had some of the toys unfortunately they didn't last long.
"We all wear masks, Spider-Man. But which one is real, the one that hides your face or the one that is your face?"

The Green Goblin from The Spectacular Spiderman Animated TV Series.

Game Master

Postby Strider » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:49 pm

Well I guess since everyone else is on a nostalgia kick I might as well act my age. As a kid, I never was much for the show. In fact, I can't really recall watching it very much at all. However, my younger brother and I, always eager for an exciting new toy, found some Captain Power toys on clearance at a toy store. For $4.99 each we snagged a Powerjet and Interlocker toy and the three VHS training videos, each selling for a dollar a piece. I'm not sure how many of you out there ever got to experience these things, but essentially you played the video on your TV and the toys interacted via the flashing animation on the screen. The videos played as if you were flying from a cockpit in the first person. You aimed the toy at flashing target points. And you had to "dodge" the toy around to avoid similarly flashing enemy fire.

Not a very interesting story in and of itself, but the amusing part is that these videos were done in a rather high-quality style of anime. To this day, I still remember those videos and toys quit fondly. I mean yeah, you had your MASK toys that fired missiles, but you lost those under a couch somewhere after about a week. This thing fires light beams and interacts with the TV!

Your friends couldn't help but be amazed...
________
HOST AND DESIGN
Last edited by Strider on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:53 pm

It's funny you should mention this but a teenager got on my bus this morning wearing a "Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future" promo jacket.

Interesting...

Game Master

Postby Halo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:58 pm

A teen did??

That jacket's older than he is. :lol:

Group Leader

Postby Mr.F » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:19 am

Curious. You find a teen wearing a jacket from the... 80s?... odd but don't reflect over grown men dressing up in attire from the dark ages?

Besides I might add I occasionally wear attire dating back before the roman empire. They are called sandals =P

Now I'm not trying to be rude here (though I DO have a talent for that). Its just my very own twisted way of saying fashion is a circle that change colour with each revolution. Old things get popular again, and new trends are often nothing more then variants of old ones or in some cases combinations of 2 different old trends.

Emo think they are new? Oh please, its called a depressive synth sprinkled with a little extra sexual ambiguity. Visual kei think they are new? Its just punk with added soap for cleanliness, the personallity of a diva and extra flavour with a hint of goth inspiration.

My point? Uh there was a point? I was supposed to have one? I mean... um.. yeah... nostalgia.. old animated series. My post is relevant to... uh... never mind just please continue and discuss thing I never watched. ^_^;;

/Mr.F - The beast demanded a post. And it would have used its puppy eyes had I refused....

Game Master

Postby MustangGT02 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:18 pm

Well since we are all coming out about the show. I owned all the toys and the figures and the vids. At the time they rocked but now they are lame by comparison.
"Luke...I am your father..." ~ Empire Strikes Back

Wing Leader

Postby Azazel » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:32 pm

Okay, I certainly don't remember that show in particular. I watched it on the links Halo posted, and I don't think it was aired around these parts.

In any case, I think that the show's VFX do hold up well considering its age!
Even if it's 80's TV, it sure beats the hell out of Power Rangers. Those guys used like a handicam for the giant-robot battle sequences!

Needless to say, I hated the show back when my brothers were little and were all about watching it.

The worst part was bringing them Power Rangers merchandise every time I flew to the States back then. Ugh.

Group Leader

Postby Nomad Soul » Thu May 03, 2007 10:21 am

I rememeber the show. Although I only caught it on reruns when I was about 15. By that time I was old enough to realize how much it sucked.

However, when I was much younger back in the show's original run my cousin was way into it. I do remember going to his house and being amazed as his little jet toy interacted with the movie on the TV screen and popped the little action figure out whenever he got hit.

Edit: Watching this episode made me remember that I actually had it on tape for my entire childhood. I know that episode word for word almost. It wasn't until I was older like I said that I caught the rest of the series on TV.

I also had a Lord Dredd action figure.

Return to General Discussion