Going to Japan

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Web Managers Group

Going to Japan

Postby Xuric » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:45 am

Yes, friends, I am. On the 24th of March.

I post this because I am (still) in need of advice. If you're familiar with temiyage, what can you tell me?

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:34 am

Where are you coming to?

I've numerous posts in various topics in Macrossworld on the topic (travelling to Japan.)

Some of them are:
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... =21294&hl=
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... =20577&hl=
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... 7&hl=akiba

(there are more.)

Re: temiyage

http://www.worldvillage.org/gy/gyold/12003.html
says this:

One should not confuse an omiyage with a temiyage, which is a gift one takes when visiting a friend or relative. Such things as fruit, biscuits, and candy can be given as temiyage. One makes a special trip to someone's house to deliver an omiyage; however a temiyage is given at most social calls.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2004.html
has (relevant section in bold):

Temiyage and Omiyage
In order to thank somebody, e.g. for an invitation, one often presents a gift (temiyage) such as a cake, Japanese sweets or sake. Similarly, when a Japanese person returns from a trip, he or she bring home souvenirs (omiyage) to friends, co-workers and relatives.

Personal advice:
Only do this if you are invited to someone's house (it's akin to bringing a bottle of wine when invited to dinner at a friend's house.)
Everything you need to do this can be purchased in Japan (usually at a shop near the exit of the train station nearest to whomever you are visiting.)
Most people buy seperately packaged cakes, other baked goods, or sweets of some kind.
Don't be too extravegant - as you may put yourself in a position of having to repeat the expenditure the next time. One item per person is enough.
If possible, something from your home country, a local delicacy, (even if it is not so big, or expensive, etc.) is best. But as you'll have limited space in your suitcase and no one is really expecting it anyways... best to save those types of souvenirs for other people.

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:57 am

Lucky basterd. Wish you luck on your trip ^^

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:19 am

I'll be visiting Tajimi for a week. In Tajimi I will be visiting a pair of complete strangers. Foreign Exchange at its finest.

So basics are "foodstuffs," anything else?

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:19 am

COBRA wrote:Lucky basterd. Wish you luck on your trip ^^

broke bastard, you mean. 8)

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:42 pm

Not really.

Though, as you'll be visiting complete strangers, you may opt to skip the temiyage and go for omiyage - souvenirs from your current place of residence. Consumables (local delicacies) usually are the best. It's recommended to bring pictures (sometimes a picture book to leave behind) of where you are from, is good too.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:00 am

Your experience and advice are most appreciated.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:47 pm

In one of your posts, you mention that visitors pass up all the good deals, because they don't know what the "sale" sign says...

perhaps you can educate me?

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:55 am

Heh, I remember that.

As I have limited time, and I have no idea what your Japanese abilities are, I suggest the following:

- Go shopping with a Japanese friend (aside from the friend being able to tell you what's on sale, there're the advantages of having a guide to direct you through the -at times- confusing transportation and street networks, and be able to direct you to the better shops, restuarants, and sites. You know, the ones that don't show up in the guide books that only the locals know about.*

- ask your Japanese language teacher specifically for those terms, words, and phrases.

*Haggling over the price doesn't happen too often in Japan. However, the personality of the friend does play a role in how the overall experience turns out. In Korea, I went shopping on two seperate occassions, with two different friends to a shopping area where haggling was common. The first friend got me a 40% discount. The other friend couldn't care less about haggling and was persuasive to pay the price that the retailer suggested.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:46 pm

ok, last post.

Ciao guys.

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:55 pm

Good luck. Have fun.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:44 pm

多治見でこんにちいわ!

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:50 am

お楽しみやん。

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:01 pm

I'm back. The travel gods were with us the whole time. Not a single hitch, foul-up, or loss.

I must say that was... eye-opening. Not the trip I was expecting, but definitely the trip of a lifetime.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:15 am

Welcome back Xuric!!

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:35 am

Oh! I think I missed saying that! For anyone travelling to Japan:

Don't expect anything. If you expect something, you will be disappointed. If you don't expect anything, you will be suprised, and blown away.

Paraphrased (since I can't remember how he originally put it) from MasumiX

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:52 am

Well, I can't say I was expecting much, but it wasn't as different as I thought it might be. The distinct lack of culture shock didn't help. I mean... the architecture was mostly the same, but urban planning totally disturbing. You might have to explain the one-car-wide roads that have two-way traffic.

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:16 pm

That's easy - the same thing can be found in parts of London: medieval street layout. The roads were placed before the advent of the car.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:44 pm

ahh... point.

I'd also completely forgotten about Osaka Castle having been burned down. You can imagine my disappointment at finding it a museum at this point. :(

All-in-all it was still a great trip.

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:04 pm

You were in Osaka?!??!?! You should've contacted me.

The funny thing is - in almost 4 years of living here, and numerous times going to Osaka Castle Park, I've never been inside of the castle. :lol:

The castle that I do recommend going to (Xuric, and anyone else following this thread): is Himeji Castle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himeji_Castle

If you're ever in the Kansai area, and wish to go there (make it a day trip, with the morning/early afternoon in Himeji, and the late afternoon/evening in Kobe; specifically Kobe Harborland,) get the Kansai Surotto Pass: http://www.surutto.com/conts/ticket/3dayeng/index.html

(Went to Nara yesterday with the wife, and with the Kansai Surotto Nara 1-day pass, we saved over ¥2,500 on the go/return fare alone!!)

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:26 pm

Don't waste your money going inside... unless you REALLY want to see the 4th and 5th floors (where the relics are). (too bad they won't let you take pictures there.)

good savings. I understand now what you meant when you said to avoid JR. The little lines had more/better connections and generally cost less.

You're right, I should have. I spent a long day in Osaka and it wasn't all that great. I hit Nara for a short time... ya know, big Buddha.

Return to General Discussion