What is the number of female vs. male characters on the MRC?

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Staff Trainee

What is the number of female vs. male characters on the MRC?

Postby WreckBMX » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:58 pm

First of all, let me get this outta the way: NO OFFENSE MEANT!!

I was curious about this.. I was looking over the joining board, and I noticed the majority of newer characters were females...

I wonder, since (I assume) the majority of players are male, is there a predisposition to play females?

In a lot of my table-top RPG experience, there were usually only one or two males that seemed to always play female characters.

Any ideas?

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:45 am

Well I know why I play a few female characters and that is to add a certain balance to the game, a touch of reality where I feel that having a few 'strong' female types which should be more commonplace, doesn't seem to be reflected very often on an online RPG.

(It's also easier to find cool looking female avatars than male ones IMHO)
:D

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:33 pm

One male and two female characters is on my list. (I actully have two males. The other one was on the DBES thread which I never considered a 'real' player character) :/

Game Master

Postby Rannilas » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:23 am

My PCs are male but I do have male and female NPCs as my leads. I agree with Sabre, female avatars really do seem more abundant.

Ji'Tuan

Postby studiootaking » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:35 am

It may simply be people wanting to try new character traits, and what better way to do that then with a character of the opposite gender. Every post requires more thinking (thus there is a greater tendency to stay in character) than characters which are of the same gender.

It may also be a Fruedien thing, with the boys creating their dream girl (friend). Though, as I'm not an expert on things psychological, this is just a supposition.

My first character was female (charicature of the girlfriend that I had at the time - who was also, at the time, on the other side of the Pacific.) After that, it was a mix, and I can't say if females outnumbered males, or vice versa.

Of all the characters, the first one was the most interesting, simply because her demeanor went from nice, to terrible (and I think back again,) over the years. Also being based on a real person, it was easier to RP the character's actions, and reactions. I think she also got voted to the top of some people's "love to hate" in the MRC, way back in the day.

Group Leader

Postby Mr.F » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:20 pm

I agree with otaking. Gender is a trait and as such it is used to define a character.

The cold sad truth is that simply switching the gender on two otherwise identical characters completely change how the character is receieved. I find it interesting comparing these differences...

/Mr.F - Balance in all things

Ace Pilot

Postby COBRA » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:29 am

The Fruedian theory/exampel/thing... Studiootaking mentioned before probably is the closest truth when it comes to why I wanted to create a female character. However, when it comes to appearance it might be true, I want to have physical traits girls have that I like, but when we are going to talk about their personalities the theory/exampel/thing... crashes.
I wanted to try to play as stereotypical girls with commonly traits that is allways pictured in most anime or movies many probably has seen before (Even If I never takes my inspiration from live-movie characters, I can't deny in the end that there might be resembling traits similar to my characters)

Wing Leader

Postby Azazel » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:31 pm

Here's my $0.02

The first character I ever made was male. As araruin posted here on the forums once, it was pretty much a carbon copy of my own personality, but with a few changes. I was unable to keep up with the training squadron I was in at the time, mainly due to the problems I had when I first started RPing ( I didn't quite get the hang of RPing by then), so I dropped out and forgot about the whole deal.
Some time later (my second year of HS, I think), I was brought back to RPing by some friends, and decided that I should create a character whose weaknesses (which were MY weaknesses as an RPer) wouldn't be frowned upon much.
To this date, I don't know if I made the decision out of a bizarre sense of chauvinism (which I don't consider myself to be), but I thought it best for the character to be female.

So, I created a pretty mediocre pilot (stat-wise), and things played out pretty close to what I'd expected them to be. I finally got some experience in roleplaying, and was able to keep in character when posting for her. Most of the time anyway. I must admit that I do find it hard to stay (or even get) into character at times, even to this day.

In a nutshell, the first time I RPed a female character was so that my shortcomings as an RPer wouldn't make my character look too bad in the eyes of my fellow RPers.

Nowadays, I must say that I'm indifferent when it comes to choosing gender for my characters or the NPCs I used to make back in the day. As far as I'm concerned, that's something their background defines.
To this date, I RP two male characters and am in the process of getting a third one (female) to join the boards.

So.. that's it. :D

- A.

Ace Pilot

Postby camk4evr » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:13 am

At present I have two male and one female character on the MRC. While I usually play male characters, if I decide that the character concept may be more interesting with a female character then that's what it's sex will be- unless I'm feeling totally indifferent in which case I'll just flip a coin^_^.

Game Master

Postby Strider » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:00 pm

From time to time, I will occassionly don the Cosmic Gender Bender, and make a female character. It's mostly done out of necessity to keep the ratio a little more balanced, male heavy as RPG's tend to be. However, all things being equal, and this isn't directed at anyone in particular, most guys have difficulty in capturing the feel of being female. We tend to idealize the female PC's a bit much, and the evidence is demonstrated by the fact that we have a whole stable of supermodel gorgeous, unwaveringly cool, female pilots/assassins roaming every which way who for some unknown reason choose to wear designer lingerie under their flight suits.

But hey, given the scarcity of the female RPG/anime fan, I guess we gotta make due...
________
SUZUKI GV1400 CAVALCADE SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by Strider on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Game Master

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:18 am

Guilty as charged!

But hey, this is fantasy so why can't my female characters embody the best qualities of Captain Janeway, Lara Croft, Madame Curie and Angelina Jolie.

Game Master

Postby MustangGT02 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:44 pm

I have 1 male and 12 female right now and 1 more female in the works. I guess its like in WOW when you woop someone with a female you not only look good doing it but you also get a rise out of the other char who is playing a male and have him wondering if you are a guy or a girl at home. I just like playing female chars on Warcraft and it became a habit to at least have one girl.
"Luke...I am your father..." ~ Empire Strikes Back

Group Leader

Postby Nomad Soul » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:57 pm

MustangGT02 wrote:... but you also get a rise out of the other char.

Ewwww!
Haha.

Myself, for video games I create females just because they're nicer to look at. For a text RPG such as the ones here I create a female only after looking at how many male characters the squad has compared to female. If it's mostly dudes I'll make mine female to mix things up and add more drama.

Delta Member

Postby Skadi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:22 pm

I play 1 female character and 1 pending. I too normally see how many males to female characters there are and build accordingly. THough the Pending character is for the Black Widows so it's kinda a requirement for her to be a her.

As far as video games go, I gotta agree with Nomad Soul.. they're just more pleasant to look at. After all on WoW.. would you rather stare at a guys buttocks for hours on end, or would you like to stare at the girl? Personally i would like to stare at the girl.
si e kono e wa ki, my one and only,
all i want is to hold you, but your not here,
if i wake and find it's only a dream,
i'd gladly take you back into my arms...
-Unknown Artist-

Hmmmmm...

Postby Big Jim » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:11 am

Well I've always played as a male character, but my reasoning is much simpler than most that has been put forth so far: I'm a dude, and I just don't know how accurately portray being a female without lapsing into several stereotypes. 'Sides, my wife always accuses me of not understanding her/women, so far be it from me to try in such a public arena.

And I've been reading over some old posts and I've come to the realization that most of you have much cooler jobs than I do. And I like the designer lingerie under the flightsuits...

Return to General Discussion