Xenosaga

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Ji'Tuan

Xenosaga

Postby Gideon Krieg » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:37 am

Has anyone else here played this game, or its sequel?

I'm currently addicted to it (not sure why). I understand there are supposed to be 5 in this series and that it is loosely related to Xenogears.

Does anyone know if these rumors are true?
"The Duke will die before these eyes...and he'll know...HE'LL KNOW!...that it was I Vladimir Harkonen who encompases his DOOM!!"

Postby Phantomj » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 am

I have played Xenogears and all I have to say is it was agreat game. I have yet to play Xenosaga which is the sequal like many years in the future.

Staff Trainee

Postby tati » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:19 am

I play that.. and its sequel.. and even the prequel (Xenogears).. they are some of the best games I've ever played.. however I can't but tell you to play xenogears (it's for PS1) the best game I ever played...

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:23 pm

I have to agree that Xenogears was cool as heck. However, Xenosaga was a lot like the second disc of 'gears... can't say as I was a big fan of the storytelling style, but the gameplay (whenever that happened) and the story was pretty cool.

Staff Trainee

Postby tati » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:20 pm

I agree with you Xuric however the second xenosaga fixes some "bugs" of the first one... but as I said the best one was Xenogears

Game Master

Postby araruin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:14 pm

I haven't had a chance to get XS2 yet, but I would definitely recommend playing it based on how much I enjoyed the first one.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

XS2 really was a continuation of the first, except that they "updated" a few of the sprites, and (if you pay attention) a few of the voices. *cough*momo*cough*.... 'scuse me... :-?

Game Master

Postby araruin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

That sucks. I loved the Sasami voice for Momo.

Ace Pilot

Postby camk4evr » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:15 pm

I've played and enjoyed them. Xenosaga is the prequel to Xenogears (which is chapter 5 of a possible 5 part series).

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:14 pm

araruin wrote:That sucks. I loved the Sasami voice for Momo.

I didn't realize how much I did, until it was different. ;)

Also glad to see that I wasn't the only one to make that reference. Quite the defining moment for that voice actor.

Squad Leader

Postby tralnon » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:18 am

lol I haven't watched Tenchi in so long, I didn't think about it.. but I guess you're right.

They changed Helmer's voice, along with Chaos and Shion's. Though.. The new voice actor for chaos is much better IMO.

As for five, I don't know. I do know that Part one of Xenosaga was supposed to take place a long time before Xenogears, last I read. It was supposed to explain how they got to that point, etc.. But something going on with the Xenogears dev team said they couldn't connect it or something.

Anyhow, the second one is wonderful, so far. The combat system is more like Xenogears, too. ^^

Game Master

Postby Halo » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:43 am

It probably comes as no surprise that I'm a big XenoSaga and XenoGears fan as the few characters I've played here as PC's have all used icons from XenoGears.

ImageImage Image

XenoSaga is, as Cam pointed out, a prequel to XenoGears. However, the sad news is that XS2 sold so incredibly poorly that they are only producing one last game in the series, which will attempt to tie up loose ends and bring it to a close. I've seen it also mentioned in a few magazines, as well as on Wiki, that because of this they are having to completely sever continuity between XenoGears and XenoSaga.

I loved Gears (although it's obvious they had to rush production and trim out a lot of content from the last disk). Saga 1 I thought was pretty good, but not as good as Gears, but by the time I was on XS2 all the heavy-handed Nietzschean plot twists really began to wear me down.

Staff Trainee

Postby Legend » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:31 am

I can give some skinny on xenogears/xenosaga, since I have a japanese friend who follows all the news.

Xenogers=Most Awsome Game

Xenosaga=Most Awsome Prequal that didn't quite reach the prologue of Xenogears.

Xenosaga II=Bad sequal to the prequal that didn't quite reach the prologue of Xenogears, and still hadn't reached the prologue of Xenogears.

This is because:
Xenogears was first made by Square who after, and during Xenogears decided that they wanted to focus solely on Final Fantasy and cut the funding, thats why the second disk is so choppy. Xenogears was the fifth story in a six part series of games.

The idea was picked up by Namco who was rather receptive to the idea, but then decided that the story, being so long needed to be chopped up futher so that their'd be two games per part making 12 games. Hence Xenosaga.

Xenosaga II was not very good because the original creator of Xenogears got fed up with how things were going and dropped out. You'll also notice that Yasunori Mistuda also did not do the music for 2 because he didn't like how his music was used in 1. He claimed he didn't want to do video game music anymore, but he still does.

And finally Xenosaga III as Halo said is jut going to tie up the loose ends because II was so poorly put together. I at least hope they show the ship falling to the planet at the end, I've been waiting for that since I heard they were going to start making xenosaga.

And yes Halo, I did notice.
"You know what the chain of command is? Its the chain I go get and ruttin beat you with until you figure out I'm in command!"

Ji'Tuan

Postby Gideon Krieg » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:03 am

Thank you all for the info.

Pitty they are stopping at XS3. Though the official NAMCO forums are alive with pettitions to continue the series.

Official XS3 website.

http://namco-ch.net/xenosaga3/index.php

Rumor round the fanbase campfire is that this is indeed the last PS2 Xenosaga game. The third installment will wrap up the story of the current characters, as Halo said.

However, some fans believe that since the next-gen game consoles are comming out, NAMCO is pulling the plug on the PS2 Xenosaga series in order to create a PS3 series. Which IMHO, is most likely the reason NAMCO wants to can the other three episodes.
From a strictly marketing standpoint, it makes good business sense to me. It would be foolish of NAMCO to continue the Xenosaga series on the PS2 as it is unlikely the PS2 will be around long enough for NAMCO to develop 3 more Xenosaga games (each on of these games has taken an average of 2 years to develop). Not too mention the beautiful graphix of some of the demos for the PS3 (as seen on G4's X-play).

According to NAMCO's official site, XS1 was very popular both in the US and Japan, XS2 brought in less than expected sales, but XS3 is expected to recoup some of that loss.

So I'll just enjoy XS2, and grab XS3 when it comes out.

Official US NAMCO Xenosaga forum.

http://www.namco.com/forums/viewforum.p ... 28170cdf33
"The Duke will die before these eyes...and he'll know...HE'LL KNOW!...that it was I Vladimir Harkonen who encompases his DOOM!!"

Ji'Tuan

Postby Gideon Krieg » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:11 am

Spoiler.

XS3 will introduce Kos-Mos's evil twin sister, T-elos.

http://namco-ch.net/xenosaga3/character/telos.php

Oh and here is the anime, if anybody's interested.

http://namco-ch.net/xenosagatheanimation/index.php

Return to General Discussion