Movie

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Ace Pilot

Movie

Postby InfernosCaress » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:50 pm

As a surprise to no one, the new film "Absolute Live!!!!!!" has been pushed back to next year. New poster, though:

It says "Sing To Live" or maybe "Songs Are Life." Still don't know much about the movie's plot other than a new threat emerges during the Var Syndrome pandemic, because apparently they still not finished cleaning up Frontier's mess.

Game Master

Re: Movie

Postby Cobalt » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:45 pm

One day, I am gonna binge the newer series and get caught up.
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Ace Pilot

Postby InfernosCaress » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Frontier is pretty good, both series and movie. Movie seems to be the more Canon route as it is carried over in to Macross 30, which in turn carries over to Delta.

Do yourself a favor and don't binge Delta. The movie, the movie is fine. The series is not. Like the writers said in the letter that they released, they were hired to plot out and write a dozen episodes and halfway through episode four they were told that it was now twenty-six and maybe some movie follow-ups. So they had to take the story that was planned out for the next eight or so episodes and stretch it out over twenty-two instead. The result is that there are more filler episodes than plot ones, and stretches of three or four episodes in a row where you don't even see a valkyrie outside of the credits. Its ending is also left open-ish for the potential film. When they actually made the first movie, they didn't do it as a follow-up and instead just re-did Delta from the beginning.

On the flipside, if you can get a hold of the Mini-Delta Theater "Paper-Doll" style bonus stuff that they put out in the blu-rays, they are definitely worth watching. They have amusing skits that are general better than the actual show. Plus, in I think pretty much each one, they'll give you info on tech that you would not normally get to hear about. For example, there are some on what non-pilot ground pounders wear: "Black WD-120 Under Suit" which is a transparent "Bio-Silk Aramid" skin-tight outfit that is laser and small caliber bulletproof, as well as having infiltration aiding abilities like altering its shape for camouflage or to appear as different race (creating artificial tails and stuff). It helps that the tech stuff is all officially labeled in English too so that you don't have to puzzle out a translation.

I wrote down the tech bits for Sketchley from the blu-rays that I had access to if you want a copy of that information.
Last edited by InfernosCaress on Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kosh » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:38 pm

I would agree, Frontier was an excellent series and highly enjoyable. Delta felt like it was being dragged out and from your comments that explains why.

Ace Pilot

Postby InfernosCaress » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Yeah. When the writers feel that they have to make a public explanation, there is something going wrong. I read the letter when it was released back in the day. I could try to find it again, but it is obviously in Japanese.

Return to General Discussion